Hard drive migration

Reaction score
Hi All, not new to Mac's but will be getting a new Imac and want to migrate the contents of my macbook harddrive onto the new iMac.My question is this.
Will my 32 bit software be compatible with my 64 bit imac ?.
AND ( the 6 million dollar question ) how the heck do i go about it. :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, your 32 bit software (provided it's not PPC coded) will work OK. A new iMac will have Lion pre-installed and Lion can not run PPC coded applications. (No Rosetta)

Answer to your second question is... use Time Machine to migrate from your MBP to the new iMac. Make a complete backup with Time Machine and the first time you turn on your new iMac you'll be asked if you wish to migrate data from another Mac. Answer yes, and then choose Time Machine. Attach the external drive with the TM backup and press OK. Depending on how much data you have to migrate, it may take a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.