• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Audio dropout in iMovie

Reaction score
Hi all!

Completed my first movie in iMovie '11 and I'm having an audio problem. Searched and found many audio problems in iMovie-- too bad because it's a pretty easy program to work with!

My movie audio is mostly "background music"-- a song plays for the entire 7:00 piece. But there are 2 small sections where I retain the clip audio, which consists of water running in a stream and a cascade. I built a 6-second audio ramp-up and ramp-down on the clips prior to and subsequent to the main clips using audio copied from the main clips at lower levels. When I run it in iMovie, the sections usually play correctly but occasionally the main clip audio drops out. The ramp-ups/downs play fine. So, I decided to just finalize and, of course, the sections dropped out.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, I would appreciate it. I suspect that it's probably just a glitchy application and there's nothing that I can do. If you're interested, the movie can be viewed here. It's the running water scenes at 3:09 and 5:40

Also, now that I've finalized the movie, is there any way to go back and re-edit? I might as well remove the ramp-up/down audio if the main clip audio is not going to play. Of course, ideally, I'd like to fix it ;)

THANKS all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Try exporting it as a mov. file then import the mov. clip again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Also, now that I've finalized the movie, is there any way to go back and re-edit?
Have you deleted the Project and associated Events? If not, just re-edit the Project.

For the sound, try dropping the audio onto the first clip to get a separate track, rather than using it as a background track.

OP
FritzDaCat
Reaction score
Have you deleted the Project and associated Events? If not, just re-edit the Project.

For the sound, try dropping the audio onto the first clip to get a separate track, rather than using it as a background track.

First, regarding your suggestion about the video:
I still have the finalized project up in the Project Browser and the raw clips in the Event Browser.
So, you're saying to edit the finalized project and it will allow me to re-finalize? Or create a whole new project and recut the whole movie from scratch? Sorry, not a lot of experience in the program yet so bear with me...

Thanks, btw!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
export the raw video then edit the mov files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
So, you're saying to edit the finalized project and it will allow me to re-finalize?
Yes, just re-edit the Project.

There is no need to finalize a project. All that does is Export the movie and create copies in all the various qualities that show up when you choose the Share>Media Browser or Share>Export options. If you don't need all those copies, don't finalize, just Share/Export to the quality that you want.

When you edit a finalized project, it will prompt you to finalize again. If you want to, fine. If not then don't bother.

OP
FritzDaCat
Reaction score
That's great information, MightyGem, Thank you!
Also thanks to MacAddict for your input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.