HELP!!! I mac

Reaction score
I was given a I Mac YEE HAW!!! Problem....THE **** THING BOOTS TO WINDOWS! I have tried the option button upon start up and the option and x upon start up and also the command X while starting up to no avail!

I have noticed the keyboard (caps light) won't light up till windows has booted. Other problem Windows needs a password and username and no one knows what the heck it is. the machine in windows won't let me use the (administrator) back door password trick either UGH!!!! I could care less about the data on the machine now I want to wipe it clean and start fresh.

Is there a way of getting into MAC OS so I can remove boot camp and get Mr. Softie the heck off this computer. The other thing I might be worried about is it possible that MAC OS is wiped off this machine and Windows is the only OS on this machine? Please let me know how I can get into MAC OS HELP!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You haven't given us very much to go on.... When you boot using the option key, what do you see? If OS X is there, you should see two choices: MacIntosh HD and Windows.

If you don't see that, try resetting the PRAM on the iMac and then try to boot with the option key again. Follow these directions to reset the PRAM:

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Let us know what happens.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try what Chscag suggested and also let us know what you see when holding down option after the startup sound. You need to keep OPTION down till the boot menu pops up. What do you see when you do that?

I just hope the person you got the iMac from did not zap OSX and make it a Windows machine! Did any OSX DVD come with your iMac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.