Changing international punctuation marks

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a Macbook that is set up with a canadian french/english bilingual keyboard. It is a similar layout to a standard American keyboard except it has keys for French accents such as èàéôù etc. I like this keyboard so that when I write in French I don't have to type alt+233 every 5th word, and it still works fine for English. Mostly...

The problem I have is with quotation marks. When I type the key for quotation marks I get «these» when what I want are "these". This seems to be a problem in Pages. Apparently in this text box right here on mac-forums when I type a quotation mark I get " " so that gives me hope. I just tried it in Textedit and I get the desired " ".

I will give a synopsis of what I have tried, however it should be noted that my OS is set to French, so I may mistranslate the names of some of the functions.

My keyboard layout is set to French Canadian - CSA by default. I tried changing it in "international" to American, however it only changes the positioning of the keys, when typing quotes I would still get «these». I am on French Canadian right now and when I hit the quotation key I get the desired " ".

In my Pages document I opened the Inspector - text - others and changed the language to Canadian English, American, English, Australian English, None, and I still get «these» :Grimmace:

I would appreciate anyone who could tell me how to get "these type of quotes" in Pages. Also since I have already typed about 10 pages using «these», if anyone knows an easy way to change all of those automatically I would be in your debt.

Cheers

Michael

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.