Help with MAC start up and other things...

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if anyone could help. I am working on a 4-month old MacBook Pro and I am hitting some problems:

1) All applications open on Start Up even though I have been through Preferences - Login Items and there none listed
2) Memory sticks or external hard drives only show up in my Finder and not on the Desktop
3) When, for example, 'Saving as' in Word, all my columns are large and I can't reduce them so have to hit return to save anything, as can't see the Save button

Someone suggested reinstalling everything but I was worried about loosing my email. Has anyone else come across this before?

Thank you!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1) Are you running OS X Lion on this MBP? If so, when you shutdown there is a checkbox that says to open all your applications the way they are when right before your shutdown, uncheck that and they won't be reopened. You can also find that checkbox in the preferences as well.

2) How to Display Hard Disks On Mac OS X Lion Desktop

3) Can you take a screenshot (Take screenshots in Mac OS X Lion | ITworld) and post it here so we can all see what you are seeing..

Lets hold off on re-installation until we exhaust all other avenues..(the person who told you to do that must be an IT person..:) )

OP
V
Reaction score
....I have followed your guidance - points 1 and 3 are now not a problem anymore. Here is a snapshot of point 2.

Seriously you are an amazing help - thank you!

Screen Shot 2012-02-14 at 14.58.27.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's just bizarre...can you try holding down the OPTION or SHIFT keys while resizing the window from either the top or bottom to see if you can make it fit just the window..

OP
V
Reaction score
The OPTION key has worked. Honestly thanks so much for all your help. Very much appreciated!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got your issues resolved, now hopefully Word will remember that you don't have a 27" screen and keep the windows within the boundaries of your screen..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.