• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Hard Coding Subtitles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15 in MBP, 2.2 i7, 8 GB RAM; iPhone 4; iPad 2 16GB, AT&T
Would like to hardcode subtitles from an SRT file into one video file. Have found that handbrake and vlan will not do it. Have not found the functionality in toast or final cut. Because of my external player I need them to be hard coded. Would appreciate any recommendations

C

chas_m

ffmpeg does this, so iFFmpeg should be able to do it as well. Bear in mind that you have to create an AVI to make the hardcoded subtitles, then convert that to DVD format, so there's going to be some minor quality loss from all that converting.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No matter which output format it does not seem to allow me to add or direct to the SRT file even when you check subtitles on the advanced option

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info but looking for the subtitles to be burned on to the video file and the output file to be AVI, MP4, or MKV

C

chas_m

Sorry, wrong tutorial. Try this one:

"Try using ffmpegX. In order to to add the subtitles you must re-encode the avi video. So, drag and drop or open the avi file with ffmpegX. Click the arrow in the area where it says "To" and select the format you want it to be encoded to. I usually choose xvid or divx. Then go to the "Filters" tab and click "Load subs" and select the subtitle file you wish to use. You can also change the subtitle font size, text style, and position (I like to keep the font size and text style default and change the position to Pos 90 to keep the subtitles a little more closer to the bottom). Before you encode the video, you can preview how the subtitles will appear by clicking "Preview." Another thing I like to do before I encode the video, is go to "Options" and check "Two-pass encoding" (this will make the output file quality a little bit better by analyzing the video and creating a log file). Once you have everything set to your preference, just click "Encode" at the bottom right corner to start the encoding process. Once its done, you should have a file, avi in this case, that will have the subtitles encoded into the video. There is no way to remove the subtitles after this process, so make sure that you don't overwrite your original avi file."

In the process of finding this quote from another forum somewhere, I also found that Handbrake can do what you're looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.