Mac won't start up

Reaction score
Hi there. Can you help please?

My mac won't start. A safe start up brings this message up:

Error adding driver 'System\Library\Extensions\'IONetworkingFamily.kext\Contents\Plugins\nvenet.kext\ContentsMacOS\'

Reinstalling from disk fails - I get an error message prompting to reinstall every time.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What Mac? Year, model? Version of OS X it's running? Help us to help you.

OP
T
Reaction score
What Mac? Year, model? Version of OS X it's running? Help us to help you.

Doh! Here you go...

MacBook2,1
Model No A1181
Late 2006

Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz
Dual-Core

OS - Snow Leopard - Version 10.6.8

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back specs. I just looked up the kernel extension that gave you the error.

This is what I found:

nvenet.kext = Nvidia ethernet, has to do with ethernet on MCP73/MCP79 systems.

Are you attached to a network in any way? And when did the MacBook refuse to start? In other words, was it working OK and then suddenly refused to start or did it do that after you installed or changed something?

Also, it should start up from disk if you're using the correct disk and the optical drive is OK.

OP
T
Reaction score
Apologies for the length of this...

I'm not attached to a network. The problem occurred after I had to buy a second hand mac, as the mother board went on my original one. I bought a like for like model and replaced the hardrive in the second mac with my original one. Everything worked perfectly for about a month, then I started to get problems starting up. I performed a couple of reinstalls from disk over the space of about 2 weeks because it had trouble starting up a couple of times. At one stage I ran a disk repair and it fixed a problem I don't have a record of. Finally I tried to reinstall from disk and it repeatedly returned an error message and failed the reinstall. I tried this with the Snow Leopard disk that was mine from the original mac and the one supplied with the second hand mac I bought.

Incidentally the hard drive from the second hand mac is working fine. I'm using it right now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am wondering if the hard drive from your other Macbook is having issue thus the hard drive from newer MB working fine.

With the old drive in the machine boot from the OSX DVD and open Disk Utility. Check the SMART status at the bottom of Disk Utility for that drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.