• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

link mp4 files

Reaction score
I am new to these forums so forgive my newbeness. I use iTunes for all my media storage on a Macbook Pro with OS X Lion. I store all the iTunes media on an external hard drive formatted as FAT 32.

My question is I have split some movies that are larger than 4 gb and converted to mp4 so they can both play in iTunes and store on hard drive, is there any way I can keep the files separate but link them in someway that allows them to play the full movie as one on iTunes/apple tv.

Any help on this will be much appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I'm understanding your question correctly..... reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled which will allow storage of large files (over 4 GB) without any limitations. Unless you're sharing that drive with a PC there's no reason to use FAT-32. Also, FAT-32 is a non journaled file system. Non journaled file systems have difficulty recovering from errors.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks mate but I forgot to mention that I have my hard drive formatted that way because I do use it on a pc aswell

I am basically wondering if there is a way I can link the files without merging them into 1 file, otherwise I may just need to buy another hard drive with a different format

OP
G
Reaction score
Also a lot of people are saying to save the files on quicktime as a reference movie and you can play in iTunes but for whatever reason the reference movie won't work in iTunes.

it seems to work for a lot of other people but not me, and i have the latest versions of iTunes, quicktime and perian.

When I drag the reference file into iTunes it highlights the section and has the green plus sign but the file doesn't appear anywhere in iTunes.

If I could get this to work I can link the files in quicktime as a reference movie and it will play the full movie apparently.

Any ideas?????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.