Is a MacBook Pro right for me?

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am new to this forum and have a question that has probably been asked numerous times: Is a Mac right for me? I bet that everybody has different reasons to consider a Mac after years of using Windows.

My background:

I have been using Windows computers since the Windows 3.1 days until today. I am using my PC mainly to surf on the internet and play one particular game on it. I do most of my gaming on my Xbox these days.

Why Mac?

I downloaded Garage Band for my iphone and am totally hooked on it. I learned that GB comes installed on the MacBooks. Is it similar to the iphone/ipad version? Can you play the drums/guitar yourself on the Mac version? My main issue with GB right now is that the screen is just not big enough.

One thing about the MacBooks that I really like is that they are solidly built. I love the touchpad functions which makes for a whole new computer experience in my opinion. What kept me from buying a Mac in the past is the price tag. I'm sure that I am not alone there. But I feel the price is justified.

What do you guys think? Should I go with a MacBook or maybe just get an ipad?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Reaction score
The new MBP's does not have GB built in. I bought my first one a week ago and it doesn't have GB.

In my opinion, if you only one a MBP because GB, get Fruity Loops instead, its a great software and it runs on windows.

Now, if you one a solid build and not plastic computer and you can justify the price, get the MBP.

Ipad? It depends on your need. I asked the same question myself last week and I ended up getting the MBP 13 inches so I can have better mobility. I don't think an Ipad is worth $525 in my personal opinion.

C

chas_m

Erik: the entire iLife suite (including GB) is in fact included on new MacBook Pros:

Apple - MacBook Pro - Apps you need and want are already included.

If you didn't get it, you need to take that up with the dealer that sold it to you, that's clearly a mistake. In fact, an icon for it should be on the dock by default.

ThorsteN: The GB you find on Macs is quite a bit different than the one on your iPhone. Go to Apple's iLife page, take a look at the videos, you'll see what I mean.

Reaction score
My apologies guys. GB it is on my Mac it was that Icon wasn't on the Dock. Ooops!

OP
T
Reaction score
Checked out the GB version on the MBP and what can I say...Impressive! So if I were to get a MBP, when would it make sense to get the one with the ATI graphics? I won't be playing any graphics intense games on it and maybe watch movies on it...

Reaction score
For what you are looking for... a Mac platform to do GarageBand . . . IMO the MBP is more than what you need. A MacBook Air would be plenty, easier to carry around. Save your $$ and invest in Logic or MainStage (serious steps up from GarageBand)..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.