Running windows 7

Reaction score
Hi, i couldn't a thread on this and im stuck,

I have a macbook pro and another hdd with windows 7 ultimate how do i transfer it and duel boot it?

(please help)

- Max

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp has very specific requirements for your Windows disc. You can't just use an already installed OS on another HDD.

With that said, both VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop have options for "P-to-V" conversions, wherein, an existing PC can be transitioned into a virtual machine to run on your Mac.

But once that's done, you can no longer use that other PC without purchasing an additional license of Windows.

If you truly want to dual boot, you'll want to use Boot Camp with a brand new copy of Windows.

OP
Reaction score
Boot Camp has very specific requirements for your Windows disc. You can't just use an already installed OS on another HDD.

With that said, both VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop have options for "P-to-V" conversions, wherein, an existing PC can be transitioned into a virtual machine to run on your Mac.

But once that's done, you can no longer use that other PC without purchasing an additional license of Windows.

If you truly want to dual boot, you'll want to use Boot Camp with a brand new copy of Windows.

So there is no way to copy the windows 7 data onta a partitioned hard drive and boot from the partition?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So there is no way to copy the windows 7 data onta a partitioned hard drive and boot from the partition?

Nope. And it has nothing to do with the Mac - you couldn't do it from PC to PC either (unless they were nearly identical, and even then, you would run into activation issues).

OP
Reaction score
Nope. And it has nothing to do with the Mac - you couldn't do it from PC to PC either (unless they were nearly identical, and even then, you would run into activation issues).

could i boot from the hardrive?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
could i boot from the hardrive?

No. Even if you could work around the boot block issues some way, the OS is still tuned to the hardware that it was installed on. So.... drivers would be missing and the OS might not be able to boot at all, and even if it did, it would certainly choke on product activation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.