Remote file open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac
Hey
I have a server I run on my mac, within a .command file. Would it be possible to start the server by opening this file remotely from a Windows PC? Thanks

Reaction score
I would imagine you could probably accomplish this with SSH. You'll need to enable "Remote Login" (in the Sharing preference pane) and get an SSH client on Windows. And, of course, you'll need to know the appropriate commands to accomplish your task.

On the other hand, there are visual remote control programs available which may, or may not, be more to your liking. Macs have Desktop Sharing to which you can connect via VNC and take full keyboard and mouse control (you'll need to configure your firewall to allow internet access). Or you can use something like LogMeIn which will accomplish the same thing without any firewall work.

I hope this helps,

Z

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac
Ok, I've searched for how to get it to work with SSH, but seems really complicated. Of course, LogMeIn is a good option; I already use it, but would really want something like an icon on my computer that would start the server remotely. Just really simple ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.