New user - hard drive space vanishing??

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I am a totally new mac user, I am on a macbook pro with a 500GB hard drive and running OSX 10.7.2. I searched for the problem I am having and found threads on it but all for older OS. The problem I am having is that my hard drive is filling up very fast and I have no idea why. All I have on my hard drive is around 250GB of my music, there is now 200GB of 'other' files and I don't know where this has come from or how to delete it and stop it from returning. I had about 50GB of movies which I moved to an external and deleted a couple of days ago, but now all that space has gone. I am really worried because I am running out of things I can delete before my whole hard drive is taken up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jonny

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free Disk Inventory X which will show what files are where and how much space they're taking up.

C

chas_m

Sounds like an automatic backup agent (like Time Machine) is making a "local" backup since it can't find the target backup volume.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. So I checked and time machine is switched off. I downloaded the disk inventory and it has shown that the problem is with my mailbox! It is 147GB!! So I guess that somehow all my mailbox must be being stored on my mac... Does anyone know how I would stop this happening? Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
when you go into the mail program, go into preferences for the mail program and then click under the accounts tab and then mail box behaviours for each account that you have set up..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.