• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's White MacBook Reaches End Of Life, Educational Sales To Stop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Kind of sad really. The "Whitebook" is sort of a stepping stone for most new Mac users. You can't deny MBA sales though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11.6,Macbook 13,ipad 1,ipod Classic,iphone 4S
As a new user,I bought my first Macbook 13" last year.I think it is still a nice piece of kit.Indeed it was my route from my pc/laptop.Reliable and with a nice shiny design,it looks class.Although now just "upgraded" to a new Macbook Air 11.6",I will continue to use my Macbook-White,as a backup for my media and documents.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Im glad to see the back of it. It was looking very dated. The MBA is a much better alternative to an "entry level" MacBook.

Reaction score
As one who works in the education system, I am sad to see the MacBook taken out of Apples product inventory. I do not know how the MBA will fill the gap, as we still use CD and DVD based learning applications throughout the district. And while they hace the MBA Superdrive available, that is first, an added cost (with the minimum MBA already $50 more than a MacBook), and also one more thing to get banged around, cables strained or lost, etc. etc. etc. (Ever see middle school students in action?)

And iPads, while definitely having their place in the schools, are not (yet?) a replacement for a full-function portable computer.

At the other end, the MBP is a bit overkill for the average classroom needs, not to mention would cost us about $250/unit more than the MacBook (if we go that route), or $200 ore than the MBA, which would mean, ultimately, fewer units in the hands of students. When we are still running iBook G4s in some schools, having fewer new units to replace the obsolete for next school year is not a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Im glad to see the back of it. It was looking very dated. The MBA is a much better alternative to an "entry level" MacBook.

Respectfully disagree with you there Rob, the MBA has far fewer options than the White MacBook did. Still think Apple should've put an i3 in there and sold it as a cheap alternative for a portable Mac. Like the Mac Mini's portable equivalent.

The White MacBook was the first Mac I ever used, given to me by my school in the 7th grade, without that experience, I would probably still despise computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.