• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Sony DRM

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

If you dont know what DRM is yet google it really quick its a horrid thing. first off i couldn't find out if it will work on mac they just say pc. second if it does work on mac will apple protect us like how microsoft said they will treat it as spyware/malware. thank you micortrash for standing up for peoples rights.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Biturbo V12 AMG said:
If you dont know what DRM is yet google it really quick its a horrid thing. first off i couldn't find out if it will work on mac they just say pc. second if it does work on mac will apple protect us like how microsoft said they will treat it as spyware/malware. thank you micortrash for standing up for peoples rights.
Simple solution...don't buy Sony music CDs.

OP
B

badmojo

I 'heard' that this abhorrent feature does not work on the Mac, from a podcast I listened to. Leo Laporte and the TWiT gang are banging this to death, and I love every minute of it. Sony really screwed up this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
On a sidenote, do you think this connection (although indirect) will negatively affect Blu-ray?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Meyvn said:
On a sidenote, do you think this connection (although indirect) will negatively affect Blu-ray?
I highly doubt it considering the mass of population probably doesn't even know what Blu-Ray is or the fact that it's mainly Sony's technology. They'll never think to connect them.

I also bet this doesn't stop most people from buying Sony's CDs.

People are a fickle thing....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Biturbo V12 AMG said:

DRM means "Digital Rights Management" and it's a way to keep people from copying music without restrictions. Sony's thing was so bad because when it installs itself it also hides all it's files so that the average joe can't get rid of it. But it turns out that anybody can do this once the Sony DRM program installs itself, so a virus writer can take advantage of Sony's generosity and hide their virus along with Sony's copy protection program. It is apparently already being exploited by virus writers. Lovely, isn't it? And to top it off, Sony's "fix" for this monstrosity just replaces some of their files so they don't hide any more, but apparently opens up a security hole so that exploiters can execute code on "infected" computers. Sony really effed up on this one.

The key is, #1 don't buy Sony/BMG CDs until the quit doing this (even if you only play them in a CD player you should boycott them for this behaviour), and #2 don't accept their EULA if you put a CD into your computer and it pops up.

There are plenty of DRM systems around that don't do this stuff (most of which just make it a PITA for legitimate users, and don't impact piracy much at all), so Sony sure didn't need to do this. Particularly since it was so poorly thought out and badly implemented. I imagine some mid level executive just had his career go down the toilet over this one.

edit: There is an online petition to sign, if anyone is interested.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bcsony/petition.html

OP
D

damontgo

I saw and Article that Sony was recalling the DRM discs over at the Tech. Section at Yahoo! News... dunno if that's old or new, but possibly worth a read

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
yea it doesnt do a darn thing on linux

and i love how copy protected DVDs will not play in my family p4 unless it installs some crap, but DVDplayer plays it effortlessly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what a bad idea, i heard microsoft has an even crappier DRM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
isnt it being built INTO the new intel chips?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.