Transfering photos TO the iPad from a card reader using the camera connection kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Argh. That's the word I'll use rather than the expletives which have been flowing out of my mouth for the past 10 minutes. Start of the story: We're going on a trip, and I'm trying really hard to leave the laptops out of the equation. Those will be better served for the guests whom are staying and watching our place...

Figured hey... let's try just taking the iPad, yeah! So my D300 comes with me (would much rather have a mirrorless at this point for trips) with a tripod and a few lenses. Terry White, whom is an Adobe/PS/LR guru wrote an article with a nice video showing that it was possible to connect an card reader to the iPad camera connection Kit, making transfers faster and more convenient than doing so from the camera directly.

He used what looked like exactly the same card reader that I own. A Sandisk ImageMate 12 in 1. All went very smooth. So I finally got a camera connection kit tonight, gave it a shot and was met with a nice lil' message saying that "the device requires too much power". Um... really? I just don't see how that is possible. It can't be drawing more than 4mw or 5 at most.

Plus, I don't see how the camera needs less power than a card reader, but that's just me.

Anyhoo... I'm hoping that someone here is doing what I am attempting to do, and can tell me which card reader it is that works? Yeah, that whole drawn out story for just that one question. That's how I roll! Sorry, I needed to vent a bit too, this is frustrating.

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You don't happen to have another card reader you can test on, do you?

Even borrowed?

btw, the cameras are self-powered. But.. the card reader shouldn't go over it's spec'd 5v

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You don't happen to have another card reader you can test on, do you?

Even borrowed?

btw, the cameras are self-powered. But.. the card reader shouldn't go over it's spec'd 5v

Lol.. after typing that, I was like... "duh, there's a battery in my camera" haha. Just didn't feel like editing. But then technically, that should mean that if I plug the iPad in, it would work.

And no, I don't have another card reader right now. I've been reading around, and this is a very big issue for people. Even using a powered usb hub in between won't work. The other solution is to use a SD to CF adapter, but then that's kind of taking chances. Not guaranteed to work all the time. Plus, the buffer would fill too quickly and transfers would go more slowly.

Edit: I just ordered this: Amazon.com: For iPad1/2 Connection Kit Card Reader to CF1/CF II: Electronics

It gets hit and miss reviews, so I'm taking a chance. If it doesn't work, I'll return it. I was advised by Terry White to get this one:http://store.micgadget.com/card-readers/280-ipad-2-cf-card-camera-connection-kit.html

But there's no way it will reach me before I leave. Hopefully I'll get lucky with the Amazon purchase. Wish me luck!

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But then technically, that should mean that if I plug the iPad in, it would work.

Man, I just keep running myself in to walls, don't I ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, good luck! If I had an iPad.. I'd try out my readers :) Let us know how it turns out!

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, good luck! If I had an iPad.. I'd try out my readers :) Let us know how it turns out!

Sure thing. It is said to arrive on Thursday, so I'll definitely report back.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.