How do I upgrade so a new nano iPod works on my MacBook??

Reaction score
Hi...i'm new here and not massively technical so need some advice...I quite fancy a new nano iPod, however when checking their spec the requirements are:

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port, OS X v10.5.8 or later and iTunes 10 or later

and when checking my MacBook spec I have 10.4.11 and iTunes 9...so my question is, is it really necessary to have the spec they say is required, and if it is...what's the easiest way to get upgraded to 10.5.8 or later and iTunes 10?

Thanks muchly

NovaLazy

C

chas_m

Thanks for letting us know you have a MacBook ... that saves a lot of time asking if you're PPC or Intel. You're Intel.

So next question: is it a Core2Duo chip or not? You can find this out by going to "About This Mac" under the Apple menu in your menubar. If it is, you have two options. If it isn't, you only have one option.

Either way, you will want to make the jump to Snow Leopard (10.6), which really you should have done years ago (insert wagging finger and tsk-tsking here). LUCKILY, Snow Leopard is still widely available and cheap at $30. You could also go find (somewhere) a long out-of-print retail Leopard DVD for Intel and spend over $100 on that, only to still be way behind the times, but why?

Be aware that moving to Snow Leopard *may* cause some of your outdated software to "break." Be sure you're up-to-date on all your apps (as much as as possible, anyway) before upgrading, and it should go without saying (but sadly it doesn't) that you need to make a full backup of your system BEFORE you make any major changes to it such as upgrading to Snow Leopard. I'd suggest using an external drive and Carbon Copy Cloner for this.

Once you're updated to Snow Leopard, you can download the latest iTunes (Safari, QuickTime, etc) and your new Nano (and future iPhone and/or iPad!) will work fine.

If you have a Core2Duo you will also have the option of upgrading further to Lion, but that's not immediately mandatory in either case.

As a general rule of thumb for future purchases: new peripherals + very old software = bad mix.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hey chas_m...thanks for the info...muchos appreciated...i'm now on the case to update my Mac to Snow Leopard and then wont let the grass grow under my feet again.

Thanks muchly again.

Mr Nova Lazy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.