• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with .h264 file

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a backup file from my new DVR surveillance system that I would like to view on my mac. The file has a .h264 extension i.e. filename.h264. I can not view this with any of the software I have on my mac computers, so I think it needs to be converted into some other format. Could anyone suggest which format and the software required to do so.

Thanks.

C

chas_m

First, try simply changing the name of the file to .mp4 and see if that works. If not:

download the free MPEG Streamclip (google the link) and try it there. There are others that can do that job more elegantly but let's stick with a free tool so we know it works first.

Reaction score
so, did it work?

I heard that some software had the encryption system that makes footage impossible to view other than with this software's media player. can't remember the name of the app and extension it uses but i surely read about the guy who needed to give the records of his shop being burglarized to the police and he couldn't. so, did this software {below} help you out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.