Apple Remote Desktop Is Awesome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I have an ibook, and a macmini, I hooked my mini up to my 50" big screen, and can control it via the ibook using apple remote desktop, this ideally, makes it the perfect HTPC, except that I don't have a tv capture device yet, but still debating which one to get. Anyways, does anyone have experience using this, and if they do, tell me what ya think about it. I think it is great for system administrators, home theater enthusiasts, and anyone who has multiple macs in their houses. Now to just convince the wife to get rid of her pc laptop, and get a mac laptop, and I will be set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I've been wanting to get it myself but wasnt sure of the speed of it. I have only used VNC before and thats its just slow and not fun to strugle with at all.

So, how is the speed of it over the local network?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
it isn't super fast, but isn't slow either, i like it, fast enough for me, it took about 10-15 seconds after clicking on dvd player, for it to show on the screen, which is good in my eyes.

C

ChrisA

Acill said:
I've been wanting to get it myself but wasnt sure of the speed of it. I have only used VNC before and thats its just slow and not fun to strugle with at all.

So, how is the speed of it over the local network?

Apple Rmote Desktop _IS_ VNC. Well at least is is VNC at it's core. THat said, VC does not have to be slow. If you have 100BaseT between the two boxes there is not much delay. I use X11 to to put my UNIX server display up on my Mac Mini screen and it is just as fast as if I were logged directly into the UNX box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah it's decently fast, especially if you lower the res or the color depth, that really makes things much quicker. It's definitely useable.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Ok, I got my mini running frontrow now (won't go into how, in order to avoid being banned), and I am able to control everything with my ibook using remote desktop, it is perfect, the mouse moves at the same time on the tv, but a slight delay on the ibook monitor, which doesn't bother me. Now I have a perfect home theater macmini, except don't have tv yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.