word 2001 menu bars

J

jlarkin123

I have a peculiar problem that I need to fix with word. While typing a document, I lost almost complete use of my menu bar. Only the File, Edit, View, and Fonts menu bar worked. The toolbars menu did not work in the View drop down menu. I restarted, reinstalled and search through every file that I can think of at least 5 times with now success. When I run word and select zoom or format from the View bar, word crashes and says there is a type 2 error. This is on a G3 power book running os 9.2 .

I have no idea what else to try and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It has been a while, but I think if you remove the preference file for word that mayresolve your problem. In the system folder you should find a preference folder. In the preference folder you should find a folder or preference file for word. Throw it away. The restart the word application.

If I remember corrctly, sometime the perference files get corrupted.

OP
J

jlarkin123

Thanks for responding. I actually did try to do that, but I didn't find any preference files for word, only a preference folder for office. I didn't remove them because I was unsure what negative effects that might have. In that office preference folder I found it odd that there was no word file in there. Does this sound strange? Is it bad to delete preference files? Every now and then, I have to delete the prefs file for a program called Molecule. Thanks again.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No it does not hurt to delete preference files. The application that created them will recreate them again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.