Why Should I Use the New Skin?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Posting this because being a little older I find myself somewhat adverse to change for change sake alone. But, on the otherhand, I don't want to miss out simply due to stubbornness.

I have tried the new look a couple of times and switch back almost at once. It is pretty, but I feel lost looking for how to do things.

So, the reason for my post is as those of you who have switched become familiar with it, please post what I am missing out on by running the old version. If i see enough good reasons I will grit my teeth and work through the learning curve.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is a guess but I am pretty sure the old will go away as the New is going to be Mac Forums. I am like you in that way but as Staff, I switched to it right away so I can get used to it and try and help others.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just give it a good solid 2 days. As others will tell you - I struggled with it the first two days - but now I'm liking it - and like how it's laid out. Still would like a font size bump on the "list view" of threads - but that's just personal preference.

I understand completely though - the first day it switched - I came in - and left ...I felt so out of sorts. Even the next day - I couldn't quite seem to get my brain in sync with my eyes, but it's grown on me greatly today. I think part of it is we've stared at the other format for so long.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
As for me, I'm very glad its finally been changed. MF has always had a sort of "90's" look about it in my opinion, and well due an overhaul. Obviously, everyone has teething problems, but most will work themselves out or be worked out by the admin.

All in all, its not so different. a few things are in different places, but mostly to me its more like changing the wallpaper at home, and moving a bit of the furniture around. :p

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for me, I'm very glad its finally been changed. MF has always had a sort of "90's" look about it in my opinion, and well due an overhaul. Obviously, everyone has teething problems, but most will work themselves out or be worked out by the admin.

All in all, its not so different. a few things are in different places, but mostly to me its more like changing the wallpaper at home, and moving a bit of the furniture around. :p

Had to laugh, because from my perspective growing up the "90s" was the future.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Just so you know...noone uses wallpaper anymore...at least not over here ;P

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just so you know...noone uses wallpaper anymore...at least not over here ;P

;)
I'll have to tell my friends who just re-did the wallpaper in their kitchen that.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
;)
I'll have to tell my friends who just re-did the wallpaper in their kitchen that.

I meant to say - no one under 60 - I should have been clearer. :D

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just give it a good solid 2 days. As others will tell you - I struggled with it the first two days - but now I'm liking it - and like how it's laid out. Still would like a font size bump on the "list view" of threads - but that's just personal preference.

I understand completely though - the first day it switched - I came in - and left ...I felt so out of sorts. Even the next day - I couldn't quite seem to get my brain in sync with my eyes, but it's grown on me greatly today. I think part of it is we've stared at the other format for so long.

Been playing with, plus there seem to have been changes. Regardless, am liking it now and can find my way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I didn't realize you could change the skin but I like both. Yes other new one looks 2012ish but I like the old school look of some forums. I will stick with the new one to go against My own grain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I also am not a fan of change for the sake of change, but I do like the new look....

Reaction score
I think it looks great. Took me a few to figure out how to navigate, but I love the look/feel.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Only just logged into Mac-Forums today after not being on for a while, was shocked by the new look but absolutely love it. Looks great, new and fresh. Happy days :)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.