• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Benefits of upgrading RAM??

Reaction score
Hi.

I just switched to a Mac for work (HD video editing/Motion Graphics/Compositing). I have the 17" MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM and I keep seeing posts recommending people to upgrade the RAM to 8 or even 16 GB.

The main programs I use areIAfter Effects, FCP, Premiere Pro etc and a bit of Cinema 4D every now and then so I guess my question is, what benefits should I expect from upgrading?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
More ram allows:

- more ram to be dedicated to a single application (if it needs it)
- more ram allows the opening of simultaneous applications...without much or any loss of performance (which can happen when if there isn't enough ram & too many apps are open)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks.

Would dedicating more RAM to, say After Effects, equal quicker preview and render times?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks.

Would dedicating more RAM to, say After Effects, equal quicker preview and render times?

Adobe.com says After Effects (CS 5.5) requires 2 gig of ram. I don't know what Mac OS version you're running...but if your running OS 10.7 (Lion)...Lion needs 2gig of ram...and After Effects needs 2gig of ram to run it's best.

That's a total of 4gig of ram (the amount you have in your MacBook Pro). If you have any additional apps. open at the same time (which many people do)...then some ram will be "taken away" from what After Effects "would like"...thus not running as effectively.

If you run a lot of Adobe programs (with various apps. open simultaneously)...you may benefit from at least a ram upgrade to 8gig (assuming you have a MacBook Pro that can be upgraded to 8gig).

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Thanks.

In short, yes. I would consider for your uses an 8GB RAM upgrade would be quite useful, though I think 16GB would be a bit overkill.

Basically, Rendering relies mainly on your CPU/GPU. But having more RAM available means more of those scenes can be kept in the RAM for fast access.

Download a little app called menumeters, and monitor your page ins/page outs ratio. basically, if you are getting large amounts of regular page outs, you should really consider a RAM upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.