• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie RAM Usage

Reaction score
I have an ongoing problem when exporting my hi-def iMovie project to my external hard drive. It starts the process then after 15minutes it then stops and i get error -108.
I believe that this error relates to a ram problem. I have tried various other solutions to stop this happening. i.e. making sure no other apps are open and using ram up and restarting mac and immediately exporting project but to no success.

I recently monitored the ram activity when the project is exporting. My mbp has 4gb of ram and when i start the project my activity monitor reads: Free - 1.6Gb, Wired - 1.27Gb, Active - 1.28Gb, Inactive - 166Gb.

Does anyone know if this seems about the right amount of usage. The project itself is about is about 7Gb in size.

Prior to the project giving me error -108 the ram usage is approximately as follows: Free: 700mb, Wired : 900mb, Active 1.8Gb, Inactive 600mb.

I know that I am using hi-def video footage and using the graphics that come with iMovie with music and photos but my friend has been able to export to his hard drive using a longer hi-def project with music graphics etc.

I was going to add more ram to the mbp but this seems to not solve the problem.

Please help anyone!!

C

chas_m

It might be RAM-related, but just out of curiousity how much free space do you have on your boot drive?

C

chas_m

Yep, that's plenty. Was just wondering if you were running out of "temp space" while working with the files.

According to this discussion, the problem seems to be a bug that originates with transitions that have text in them. The workaround appears to be exporting smaller portions of the movie with text transitions to quicktime movies and then re-importing them as movies (now the text titles are "embedded" so to speak). Or you can remove the text transitions and do them in some other method, of course.

OP
S
Reaction score
Would adding more ram to my mbp i.e. double it from 4gb to 8gb, make any difference or would the bug still cause the project to fail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.