• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS X Lion 10.7.3 released with Safari 5.1.3, Wi-Fi bug fix

Reaction score
OS X Lion 10.7.3 released with Safari 5.1.3, Wi-Fi bug fix

10-73-cjr.jpg

The third update to OS X Lion, 10.7.3, has been released and is now available in Software Update. A list of some of 10.7.3's fixes are below. Of potentially greatest interest is the fix that purports to "resolve a Wi-Fi connection issue when waking from sleep" -- I know both of my Macs have fallen prey to this bug several times under Lion, and it's been a fairly widespread issue. Hopefully this bug has indeed been squashed once and for all.

The OS X Lion v10.7.3 Update includes Safari 5.1.3 and fixes that:

• Add Catalan, Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, Romanian, Slovak, Thai, and Ukrainian language support
  • Address issues when using smart cards to log into OS X
  • Address compatibility issues with Microsoft Windows file sharing
  • Address an issue printing Microsoft Word documents that use markup
  • Address a graphics performance issue after sleep on some earlier iMacs that use ATI graphics
  • Resolve a Wi-Fi connection issue when waking from sleep
  • Address an issue that may prevent Safari from opening before joining a wireless network
  • Fix a potential issue authenticating to an SMB DFS share
  • Include RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras
OS X 10.7.3 is available via Software Update, or you can download it directly from Apple's support site.

OS X Lion 10.7.3 released with Safari 5.1.3, Wi-Fi bug fix originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 01 Feb 2012 16:35:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yay - My iMac thanks you for the Wi-Fi bug fix. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From the looks of it, the Safari development team skipped over the still problematic memory issues. For instance, here's memory usage after running SunSpider:

safari.jpg

Here's Opera for comparison:

opera.jpg

And Chrome:

chrome.jpg

Totals
Safari: 1543.72 MB
Opera: 114.2 MB
Chrome: 289.8 MB

Safari still sucks back the memory. What also interesting is Safari's consumption of memory while doing (attempting) the most basic tasks. While the Opera test was running, all I did to Safari was attempt to close it. When the Opera test had finished, Safari was using 1655.26 MB of memory. So, Safari required another 111.54 MB of memory just to close. Seriously?

There have been four versions of Safari 5.1 and this problem still isn't fixed. Does no one on the Safari development team care about memory usage? Perhaps they all have machines with 16GB of memory. ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yes - Safari definitely has issues - enough that I've considered going fully Chrome. On the plus side - it appears to be rendering this site correctly - and more quickly than it did before.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's a shame because, for the most part, it's fairly well designed. If they could fix this massive leak, I'd consider using it. Until then, it shall remain a backup. It will, however, always take precedence over Firefox. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love Safari but NOT that memory issue. I am always doing flash videos and they have to fix it. Come on apple Safari team, fix it!

Thanks Van for posting your results with the new Safari. Had a friend over from the mountains and we were shopping and to dinner. Just got back and installed Safari on my Macbook with 4GB Ram. Will run the tests for the fun of it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
That was one BIG download update!! approx 750mb for the Lion update. System prefs opened on re-start with the iCloud pane open..is there something new I should know about...is it the Back to My Mac function?:eek:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Van for posting your results with the new Safari. Had a friend over from the mountains and we were shopping and to dinner. Just got back and installed Safari on my Macbook with 4GB Ram. Will run the tests for the fun of it!
Let me know what you see. I'm guessing it'll be something similar but it will be interesting to see how this plays out for other users.

That was one BIG download update!! approx 750mb for the Lion update. System prefs opened on re-start with the iCloud pane open..is there something new I should know about...is it the Back to My Mac function?:eek:
Nope, Back to my Mac has been there from the beginning. Did you perhaps have the pref pane open when OS X restarted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know what you see. I'm guessing it'll be something similar but it will be interesting to see how this plays out for other users.

Nope, Back to my Mac has been there from the beginning. Did you perhaps have the pref pane open when OS X restarted?

No I didn't Van..and there are other issues.

A couple of Apps my wife uses are exhibiting problems...

Full Deck Solitaire prompts me to sign in with my Apple ID because 'it was downloaded on another computer'...it wasn't and it won't recognise my password either stating that it can't verify the computer.

Angry Birds crashes on opening with a 'Problem Report for Angry Birds' pane opening instead.

Everything was A ok until the update.:(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

It was almost exactly the same results as you got except even more RAM usage! Did it on the Mac Book while iMac was updating. It hit 2GB just before the end of SunSpider! WOW. Also now on the iMac when I download a file and click the download manager and the area to bring up the download folder. Sometimes it will not come up unless I launch the app first! Oh Well!

And with Pendlewitches issues I have a feeling another update will soon follow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was almost exactly the same results as you got except even more RAM usage! Did it on the Mac Book while iMac was updating. It hit 2GB just before the end of SunSpider! WOW. Also now on the iMac when I download a file and click the download manager and the area to bring up the download folder. Sometimes it will not come up unless I launch the app first! Oh Well!

And with Pendlewitches issues I have a feeling another update will soon follow!

I hope so Dennis...these apps are just about the only things the missus uses:Mischievous:

Just a point about the DL folder in the Dock when I upgraded from SL to Lion.. it's never stacked and tilted since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I had some serious issues after install and restart. I tried opening Mail, Safari, and a Finder window but got the same results with each. A small rectangular window with 2 buttons. One "OK" and one "Reopen". Both have rainbow-colored diagonal stripes in the background and looked very "glitchy". Basically, I couldn't get my main apps to work. I tried a restart. Didn't work. So I gave up and reverted back to my most recent T.M. backup with Lion Recovery. I think I'll try again tomorrow.

One caveat: while downloading/installing the update I did forget and closed my MBP lid. It allowed me to continue from where I left off when I opened the lid a few minutes later. Maybe that screwed up the install? I don't know. We'll see when I try again tomorrow.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you closed the lid and it slept in the middle of an update, that very well could have caused some corruption. Try it again and don't interrupt the process and see what happens.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seemed to go smoothly enough on my MBP last night - still haven't updated the iMac. Maybe I'll spend a little more time on the MBP just to make sure I don't see any of the issues you guys have - before upgrading the iMac. Yes - for those on a slow connection - it's about a 750MB download.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No issues here but I've never had 10.x.x updates go wrong. MYmacROX, I'm willing to bet the sleep caused it. Interrupting a system update can only make things go wrong. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you closed the lid and it slept in the middle of an update, that very well could have caused some corruption. Try it again and don't interrupt the process and see what happens.

No issues here but I've never had 10.x.x updates go wrong. MYmacROX, I'm willing to bet the sleep caused it. Interrupting a system update can only make things go wrong. ;)

That's what I thought. I've never had OSX update issues before, so I'm willing to bet you guys are correct in your assessment. Maybe I'll give it a go today. ...after backing up one more time. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'm typing this from my iPad as my MBP is restoring from a T.M. backup again. The OSX update screwed up my system again. I kept the lid open the entire time but to no avail. Safari, Mail, iPhoto, Photobooth, iMovie, and Finder all failed to open and gave me the colorful error message window. They were greenish-blue buttons with red question marks - not rainbow stripes. My memory was fuzzy.

Anyways, I just can't seem to update to 10.7.3 without corrupting most of my standard apps. Weird...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is interesting indeed. I wish you would have tried to get a screen shot or two when in 10.7.3!

I have an iMac with the same basic specs as your MBP and so far everything is working except that Safari Memory Leak which was there before the update.

I will search around and see what I can find for you.

Reaction score
Issue free here for the time being. I don't use Safari anymore. Except for today but that was a cookie-website issue...didn't seem to notice any memory hogging from Safari.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'm typing this from my iPad as my MBP is restoring from a T.M. backup again. The OSX update screwed up my system again. I kept the lid open the entire time but to no avail. Safari, Mail, iPhoto, Photobooth, iMovie, and Finder all failed to open and gave me the colorful error message window. They were greenish-blue buttons with red question marks - not rainbow stripes. My memory was fuzzy.

Anyways, I just can't seem to update to 10.7.3 without corrupting most of my standard apps. Weird...
Does this look familiar?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.