Help with recording drums

B

bpublisher

Hello,

I just bought my imac, it has not even shipped yet (should be getting it tomorrow, tuesday the 15th). Anyway, I bought the garageband guitar cable, so Im all set to record my band's guitar and bassist, but I have a small problem. I need a good microphone to record me playing drums. I have no idea how this would work, so if anyone has any idea of a good mircophone (under 400 usd) or any other part for it (such as a midi adapter or whatever) please let me know asap. Thanks,
-bpublisher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Audix makes some good drum mics. Most are 1/4 inch, but just pick up a 1/4>1/8 converter at Guitar Center for like $2.

As for getting all the drums in one take...I'd think you'd have to have at least an 8 channel in. That would suck recording a whole song with just the high hat. ;)

Reaction score
The quick way would be to buy two Shure SM57s.
Place one above the kit, above the snare primarily.
The other one will go in front of the bass drum, or bass drum but facing snare type deal.

Thats also assuming you have a mixer to put all this through.

If its going to be one mic, well then, a large diaphragm mic would do greatly, like an AKG C3000B or a similar brand. You need to take care of those mics a little more thna say, an SM58, but the sound quality is noticable.
Good luck!

OP
B

bpublisher

thankz. Anyone know of a good mixer and mic kit that includes: a snare mic, 3 tom mics (one floor tom), a bass tom, and mayble cymbal mics (if there is such a thing) thanks,
-bpublisher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
drummaman1 said:
The quick way would be to buy two Shure SM57s.
Place one above the kit, above the snare primarily.
The other one will go in front of the bass drum, or bass drum but facing snare type deal.

Thats also assuming you have a mixer to put all this through.

If its going to be one mic, well then, a large diaphragm mic would do greatly, like an AKG C3000B or a similar brand. You need to take care of those mics a little more thna say, an SM58, but the sound quality is noticable.
Good luck!

I second the 57s and 58s, same that we used for our recordings. I'd check Guitar Center or similar and see what they have as far as holiday savings for drum mic kits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Another vote for the shure's...
You can use them for other things as well...

But before you invest in all this equipement - have you looked into renting a decent set of drum mic's?

That's what we did for our first demo... was about 60$ for the full set of mics&cables&mixer for a long weekend (3days).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.