New Imac

B

bpublisher

Hello,
I recently (a few days ago) purchased the first 20" imac g5 (the one that is 20" with 1.8 ghz, 160 gb hd). The specs are: 20" widescreen tft active-matrix color display, 160 gb hd, 1 gb ram, 1.8 ghz, nvidia 5200 64 mb agp video card, dvd-rw/cd-rw superdrive, applecare warranty to 02/2008. The included software is:

1. iLife 'o5

2. Garageband Jam Packs 1-4

3. Photoshop Elements 3

4. Iwork (pages and keynote 2)

5. Final Cut Express HD

6. Microsoft Office 2004

7. Virtual PC 7 with Windows XP

8. Toast 7 Titanium

9. Quicken 2005

10. Macromedia Contribute 3

11. Freehand MX

12. Flash 8

I was able to get the computer with these specs and with this software for 1549! :cool: I also bought the following:

1. new apple bluetooth keyboard ($52.00 with shipping)

2. D-Link bluetooth adapter (about $25 with shipping)

3. Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 ($52.00 with shipping

4. xtrememac ipod photo xtremity protective case ($28.00 with shipping)

5. Ice apple keyboard protecter ($18.50 shipped)

6. Airport Extreme Card ($89.00 Shipped)

7. Griffin GarageBand Guitar Cable ($24.95 shipped)

I have a couple of questions

1. was this worth it?

2. I need a microphone to record me playing drums. I got the garageband cable for my friends, but I really really need a good mic that will pick me up playing drums, will pick up every detail with excellent quality. Another thing, I dont want to pay more than like 100 dollars. Also, will I need a recording interface? Thank you, and please let me know!
-bpublisher

OP
F

fernando87

Nice

Seems to me you got yourself a good software/hardware deal over there! Congrats on your new purchase.

I switched a couple of months ago (new iBook G4 14" w/1GB RAM), so I'm still sucking in information. However, I've been a drummer for several years now and I know for a fact it is extremely difficult to get a decent record out of one microphone from your drumset. You would need to have the perfect acoustic conditions, perfect microphone placement, a top of the line mic and good compressing skills if you wish to have a decent sound.

What happens is that the bass drum usually overwhelms the mic with low frequency waves and cymbals just make everything sound noisy. I'm sure if you got something like a Shure pro-line model you could get mediocre sound, but don't expect anything near your typical 128kbps encoded mp3.

Personally, I recorded my 6pc drum kit with 9 mics connected to a console that was then plugged into the computer.

I did read about some sort of gadget that used only one condenser, and it would record pretty good drums, which you could then plug to your computer. I don't recall the name of this gadget and wether or not it was compatible with Mac-software but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

BTW, I'm not sure if the iMac has a line-in, so you might have to check that.

Drum on! :headphone

OP
B

bpublisher

thankz

thank you,
I think what you're getting sounds good. About an hour after I posted this thread, I searched ebay, and saw some pretty cool mics. Can you give me some more info on your entire mic setup (the mic names, the adapter, prices, etc.) because I may be interested in buying one similar to yours./ Btw i have a 5 peice set, 1 snare, 2 toms, a floor tom, and a bass, and a 20 inch avedis zildjian ride, 16 inch avedis zildjian crash, 10 inch splash and a 14 inch hihat. thanks again,
bpublisher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
just a note: idk if imacs have line in points, but ik that you can use a usb powered mic

OP
B

bpublisher

oh, darn, I hope they do... ( you mean like a mic port? i know they do have that)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Shure SM57s can work magic for cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.