ICloud User Guide

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in 'old fashioned' books that assist with better understanding ITunes and ICloud.

Is there a book (i.e. Idiot's Guide to...) for ITunes, including ICloud?

FYI - that particular title is not yet published.

Is there a retailer selling .pdf versions or a chapter book, to keep up with current topics.

I don't want to bother the forum with specific questions, that range from:

1. How to organize iTunes (most are for dh's.. I'm just trying to get cohesive playlists, via smart playlists).

2/ Once I have these lists, what happens if I lose my Mac (don't have iPod). Will iCloud restore- songs, playlists?

C

chas_m

Only if you purchase Match.

Partially incorrect. iTunes will restore (and keeps a backup of) all iTunes music and app purchases regardless of whether you use iTunes Match or not, as long as you are an iCloud member.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
I'm a big believer in 'old fashioned' books that assist with better understanding ITunes and ICloud.

Is there a book (i.e. Idiot's Guide to...) for ITunes, including ICloud?
I'm sure there is somewhere a Dummies or Idiots Guide to iTunes (here is one option, not sure of the quality of writing). You can alternatively just search for specific problems you have - A quick Google search for Smart Playlist Guide iTunes gave me loads of viable results.
2/ Once I have these lists, what happens if I lose my Mac (don't have iPod). Will iCloud restore- songs, playlists?
Not really, especially if you get most of your music not from the iTunes Store (ie. CD's) like I do. You should really be backing up your computer anyway :).

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to add for CanuckBoater -- this may be what you want:
Take Control of iTunes 10: The FAQ

THANK YOU.

Precisely what I was looking for.

________

Ohhh, I do back it up. However, only the media is backed up. The lists/smartlists don't get 'backed up', and I'd imagine it would be a pain in the *ss to re-input that.

As an aside, if 160 mb was on a computer, and you had an iPod Classic, can you simply use both as mirrors of the other? Take playlists from the computer and put it on Classic, then if computer has issues, restore from Classic?

I'm posting this in Switcher Forum since I'm using the Macbook air after years with the dark side. The Air is so portable, I rue the day something happens to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
THANK YOU.
Ohhh, I do back it up. However, only the media is backed up. The lists/smartlists don't get 'backed up', and I'd imagine it would be a pain in the *ss to re-input that.
I personally use CarbonCopyCloner to backup and I recently upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 without using Migration Assistant and one of the things I had to restore was my iTunes library. I can't remember exactly what I did however since I had the iTunes folder as it was, exactly copied from the old install, I did something like opening the iTunes Library file which completely restored my Playlists, artwork, song names etc.

So, pretty much, if you have backed up the iTunes folder you will be able to restore all your iTunes data such as playlists.

C

chas_m

I concur, just back up the entire iTunes folder so that you have both the media AND the playlists et al backed.

As cheap as hard drives are I can't seen the point in not backing up the whole system personally. TM makes it so easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.