What versions of Windows to use with virtualisation software? Plus best way to buy?

Reaction score
Hi there!

We are based in the UK

We are looking to install Sage on 3 iMacs in our ad agency office. We have already purchased Sage but need to buy an emulation/virtualisation software (of which I understand we need to buy a license per computer).

I have my eyes on VMWare Fusion as its cheaper than Parallels and we only want to use Sage (simultaneously in the dock). But I've just started looking at buying Windows, and not sure what the best option is for us to buy?

To run Sage, I understand we don't need the latest OS, as long as its XP and above, but then again looking at prices of XP compared to 7 are very similar. I understand 32 bit is best too. What about OEM OS software? Is this OK for us to use? It's a shame that we can't buy a Windows 7 Family Pack in the UK anywhere.

So basically, what's our best value/cheapest option of Windows to install along with our virtualisation software and Sage? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

DOIWG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Windows 7 is going to work the best with the Mac hardware in virtual or out. Personally, I would go the Bootcamp route instead of virtual machines. If it is only ever going to be in a virtual window, you can go with XP to safe a fraction. 32-64 bit? 64-Bit Win7, 32-bit XP. Keep in mind, 32-bit XP will not use more than about 3.1GB RAM.

I have not used Sage and do not know the requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Personally I'd go for Windows 7 in VMWare.

Like you say sage requires 32bit Windows so that's the way to go.

I suggest Windows7 rather than XP because Sage are renowned for dumping backward compatibility without warning. So I suggest Windows 7 so that if you move to another version of Sage in the future you won't have to upgrade Windows at the same time, as you would if you went down the XP route.

You can get Windows 7 inc SP1 Home Premium 32bit for £59 (ex vat) from Scan.co.uk or amazon.co.uk

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! Appreciate your input!

We wouldn't be able to go down the bootcamp route as we use many other Mac programs at the same time.

mrplow, I cannot see the £59 price on either Scan or Amazon? Would this be OEM? Someone on the VMWare Fusion boards said we are not allowed to use OEM versions and sort of suggested not being so picky about cost!

Reaction score
You should at least evaluate, on a test basis, VirtualBox by Sun. It's free - if it works well enough for you, you can save the $$ required to buy enterprise licenses for either Fusion or Parallels.

If not, as between Fusion or Parallels, I have used both and have a preference for Fusion in a networked, corporate environment. In a single-user installation of Windows, they are essentially the same, but Fusion's backbone and "virtual appliance" library, as well as their corporate support, are better suited than Parallel's for a corporate system, IMO.

I agree re Win 7 -- more robust, better support and longer shelf life. MS is no longer updating XP so you really should go with the newer version especially for mission-critical applications.

Quick note re OEM versions of Win7: Of course you can use them. That is completely fine and they are indistinguishable from full retail versions except that the licensing terms restrict their use to only one computer, ever. Full retail licenses allow you to use the OS on one computer at a time - which is more flexible. That's why it costs more. So it's really your choice depending on how you plan to use the OS.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
+1 for virtual box. Didn't cross my mind, took it as read that you'd already committed to VMWare.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys!

We will go for OEM OS as this is the best and most affordable option. And we would like to stick with Fusion as it allows us to run individual Windows app from the dock, effectively anyway.

VirtualBox looks great if we intended to use the Windows environment more frequently or using more than one Windows app.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.