Keyboards (specifically for a Mac Mini)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I've been seeing many Mac Minis going surprisingly cheap on eBay recently, and have been seriously considering investing in one.

However, I did have one question which I've not been able to find a clear answer to; I know that one of the selling points of the Mini is that it can be used with a switcher's pre-existing PC set-up, simply replacing the PC itself, and connecting to the same keyboard/mouse/monitor/etc, but I've never seen it made clear if OS X has keymaps for all the regional variations of PC keyboard out there, or if it only has keymaps for Mac keyboards & one simply has to remember the different layout (either that or re-mark the keys on the keyboard!)...

Obviously, for US users this would not be significant, as US PC & Mac keyboards are almost identical in layout; but I would be using a British PC keyboard, which is quite different (it's not just the inclusion of a key for the £ symbol, a lot of the punctuation marks are in completely different places, and there are quite a few substitutions; so even the British Mac layout would not match very well).

So, my actual question - in case ^that^ was all a bit TL/DR - is:
Would any Mini I bought be able to accommodate my British PC keyboard's layout; or would I need to invest in some form of Mac keyboard to get it matching-up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
You would be able to change the layout so that it matches what you are typing.

Settings --> Keyboard --> Input Sources

Select the English (UK) and it should match up with all of the keys just fine.

C

chas_m

One caution on buying a Mac mini used: DON'T get a PowerPC (G4) or Intel Core Duo (as opposed to Core 2 Duo) Mac mini unless you are WELL aware of the limitations.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One caution on buying a Mac mini used: DON'T get a PowerPC (G4) or Intel Core Duo (as opposed to Core 2 Duo) Mac mini unless you are WELL aware of the limitations.

Agreed completely. The G4 one is obvious, but the first Intel Mini (Core Solo or Core Duo) are a 32-Bit CPU's and will not run Lion at all, so you would be forever stuck with Snow Leopard. Just a heads up.

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
You would be able to change the layout so that it matches what you are typing.

Settings --> Keyboard --> Input Sources

Select the English (UK) and it should match up with all of the keys just fine.
You sure? A UK PC keyboard is somewhat different to a UK Mac keyboard (which is very similar to a US Mac keyboard, except for the replacement of the # with £).

See below for a generic UK PC keymap:
keyboard-r1-6.gif

OP
Ctrl-Opt-Del
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed completely. The G4 one is obvious, but the first Intel Mini (Core Solo or Core Duo) are a 32-Bit CPU's and will not run Lion at all, so you would be forever stuck with Snow Leopard. Just a heads up.
Don't worry, I am fully clued-up on the differences between processors ;)

Not that it would be terrible to be limited to Snow Leopard, but I wouldn't want to be stuck at Leopard with PowerPC-only apps, so I'll definitely make sure it's an Intel processor, even if I go a bit cheaper & only get a CS or CD rather than C2D...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cool. Snow Leopard is still a Fine OS. Some even prefer it to Lion. Just thinking of the future when SL is being treated like Leopard is today.

Keep us posted on what you end up with. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.