Give Windows user access to Drop Box only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I have a MBP with OS X Lion and a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. They are on the same network, by which I mean both are hard-wired to the same Linksys E-1000 router. Both access the internet fine. My question: How do I configure the MBP and the Toshiba so that the Toshiba has network access to the MBP's Drop Box and nothing else? On the Toshiba, if I click on My Computer>Network, the MBP shows up, but clicking on it generates a popup: "Windows Cannot Access (the MBP)". Then, at the MBP>System Preferences>Sharing, if I check "File Sharing" and at "Options ..." check "Share Files and Folders using SMB (Windows)", then clicking on the MBP on the Toshiba My Computer>Network, the MBP opens, offering access not only to the Drop Box, but to a lot of other folders as well. So, is there a way to limit file sharing access to the Drop Box? Thank you.

Reaction score
On the Sharing preference pane, there should be three list boxes. The left allows you to select your sharing service (File, screen, printer, etc), and the right allows you to specify which users can access the machine remotely.

The center box, labeled "Shared Folders" is the one you're looking for. You can remove the folders you don't want to share, and add the folders you do.

I hope this helps.

Z

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
That did it. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.