Formatting WD Elements Hard Drive - Problem With Disk Utility 'Partitioning'.

Reaction score
I have a WD Elements Hard Drive, which I want to use with my Mac OS X PowerBook G4 and my Windows7 Acer.

I've used this, under the option of Mac OS X. But on step 3, instead of the clickable options as depicted in the screenshot given, my options are greyed out.
Picture11.png

I've backed up the data of the hard drive, and I want the hard drive to be usable with both Windows and Mac. If you need to know, this is the information about the hard drive.
Picture10.png

What's wrong with my hard drive, and how am I able to solve it?

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't explain why the partitioning is greyed out either, unless it has something to do with it being set as Master Boot Record. I don't believe your G4 has the ability to use GUID anyway.

Have you tried to partition it using the Windows 7 Disk Management tool? You should be able to attach the drive to your Acer and open the Disk Management tool and partition it that way. Do not format the drive from Windows 7 as it will not allow formatting a partition that large to FAT-32. Once it's partitioned, reattach it to the Mac and format the partition as FAT-32 using the Master Boot Record scheme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's because the selected schema is 'Current'. Change that to 1 partition, and the options should become available.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
:) Good catch Mike. I never bothered to look at that, you're right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
:) Good catch Mike. I never bothered to look at that, you're right.

Unfortunately I've been in Disk Util a tad too often recently O:)

OP
P
Reaction score
Oh, you perfect angels. Thank you so much! I can finally get my several gigabytes of pictures into the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.