Finally Purchased!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.3ghz Core i5 MBP, 2G 8gb iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S
I finally found the perfect Macbook Pro 13 to buy. I ended up getting an early 2011 2.3ghz Core i5 for $850 with a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium and Parallels 6 (all legit of course).
I'm so excited because this is my first Mac as I've been a PC user for 10+ years. I've always wanted one, but never really needed a computer till recently.
Anyways, I just wanted to thank some of the members who have responded to my numerous questions I've had during the purchase process. You guys are the best!

Reaction score
Congratulations Simeon! I hope your enthusiasm for this purchase grows with every day.

Good luck!

Z

PS: From the price, I'm going to assume (I know, assumption is the mother of all mess ups) that you didn't get all the RAM you might need to comfortably run OSX and its applications simultaneously with Windows and its applications via Parallels. If you find the system running sluggishly, head over to Crucial to see if you can increase your RAM affordably.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I finally found the perfect Macbook Pro 13 to buy. I ended up getting an early 2011 2.3ghz Core i5 for $850 with a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium and Parallels 6 (all legit of course).

Congratulations!:) Not sure if you bought new or used...but $850 for everything you mentioned is a pretty darn great price!:)

- Nick

OP
SimeonAS89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations!:) Not sure if you bought new or used...but $850 for everything you mentioned is a pretty darn great price!:)

- Nick

I actually bought it off of Craigslist, which is amazing!

Congratulations Simeon! I hope your enthusiasm for this purchase grows with every day.

Good luck!

Z

PS: From the price, I'm going to assume (I know, assumption is the mother of all mess ups) that you didn't get all the RAM you might need to comfortably run OSX and its applications simultaneously with Windows and its applications via Parallels. If you find the system running sluggishly, head over to Crucial to see if you can increase your RAM affordably.

Thanks for the suggestion. It only has 4gb of RAM. I don't really do heavy tasks like video editing or anything, but I may upgrade in the near future.

Which brings me to my question. In order to run Lion efficiently will I need more than 4gb of RAM or will I be ok with what I've got??? And will I need to backup if I upgraded via the App Store???

I also seem to be having an issue with iTunes. Everytime I start it up, it completely locks up the entire computer. I've let it just sit and unfreeze itself to no avail. I did a bit of research and it said iTunes Helper was the culprit. So I've unchecked and deleted that off the login items and it seems to work, but it comes back once I reboot. Any ideas?

C

chas_m

I'd recommend buying your own copy of Snow Leopard or use the DVD that came with it to erase the drive and start fresh, for your own security as well as the sellers not to mention fixing the issue you're having. You'll want to back up the Windows setup if it's already set up but you can just re-do it since you have the discs, it's actually faster and easier than setting up an actual Windows machine.

OP
SimeonAS89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd recommend buying your own copy of Snow Leopard or use the DVD that came with it to erase the drive and start fresh, for your own security as well as the sellers not to mention fixing the issue you're having. You'll want to back up the Windows setup if it's already set up but you can just re-do it since you have the discs, it's actually faster and easier than setting up an actual Windows machine.
Oh, I have all of the documentation that came with my the computer. Box, restore discs, even the foam that came in between the screen and the keyboard.
But to upgrade to lion, has anyone had any issues with that doing it the App Store route?

C

chas_m

That's pretty much the only way you CAN do it. The only other option is to buy a $69 Apple USB key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.