External Firewire drive not showing up

Reaction score
Alright here is my problem I been having. I have a external firewire drive which works great intill I reboot my PB. I never shows up after a reboot. I have to unplug it and plug it back in then it shows up. It this normal or is there a setting I'm missing. The unit is a coolmax which I supplied the hard drive for. Now I changed out the HD and still have the same problem..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i think its normal that it doesn't recognize it after a restart or starting the computer

OP
Reflow
Reaction score
It does it on restart and shutdown. seems odd that on my pc it works fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
its probably a security feature or something or something the devolopers never thoguht of

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i dont restart my powermac much but i do believe my 2 external drives mount upon restart as long as they are plugged in (plugged in as in plugged into a power outlet) and turned on.

OP
Reflow
Reaction score
The only power that the drive has is what is supplied from the firewire cable. No external power supply on the drive itself.

Another question related to the drive. When you unmount the drive how do you remount it without unpluging the firewire cable? Is there a setting that can auto detect it

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can use disk utility to remount an unmounted disk. Which is located in your applications utilities folder.

OP
Reflow
Reaction score
I tried that the mount icon is grayed out. And it does not show up in disk utilities at all unless I unplug it and replug it back it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.