Please help with my Office problem

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a recent convert to Mac and have a MacBook Pro which runs OS X 10.7.2. I've installed Microsoft Office on it and every time I start my Mac up Word, etc. automatically runs. Not a major problem, but annoying nonetheless! Can anyone out there advise me on how to stop this.

Reaction score
There are two possibilities:

1 - You're shutting down your computer with Word running, and so Lion is automatically restarting and loading all your programs from the end of the session.

If this is the case, when you shut down next time, just make sure to uncheck the box labeled "Reopen windows when logging back in."

2 - You somehow have Word set to start up with your machine.

If this is the case, go to System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items, and delete Word from the list.

Good luck,

Z

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure it's not the second as I've already checked that and Word isn't in the list. I'll try the first and see what happens.

Reaction score
You're welcome. Please be sure to check back in to let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The open windows check box is very annoying, especially as you have to switch it off every time

But I found you can disable it, and this will work wether you tick the box or not.

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and copy the following command

curl http://goo.gl/Z4EFC -L -s -o ~/fixlogin.sh && chmod +x ~/fixlogin.sh && sudo ~/fixlogin.sh ; rm ~/fixlogin.sh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't forget to enter your password when it's asked for, otherwise the command will not work.

Reaction score
Does that command actually work? My MacBook Pro still has the check box when I restart/shutdown? I entered my password and nothing happened. I didn't just expose my Mac to the world did I??? :( :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You enter your password in the terminal application in order to verify the command you typed in. The dialog box will still appear when you shut down but it's ignored.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.