I Photo Has Disappeared

Reaction score
I Photo has suddenly disappeared from the aplications folder and of course will not start up from the application icon on the dock bar. I am not aware of having changed anything in the system and have tried using the disk utility function and also the software update without any success.
A search doesn't reveal the program anywhere so I guess that a re installation is needed. Just a thought tho', where are the library photos ?
Any suggestions please.....thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
have you checked the trash for the applications?

OP
L
Reaction score
yes, I have checked the trash and it's empty and I have also made a search using the finder.
I have foound a folder called I Library and can see that some of the originally stored photos are there but the file/folder structure seems to be different.

Just been through the installation and bundled software discs and.....no i photo! The directory is there but it is empty! I photo was pre-installed along with I dvd, garage band etc., I guess that means that I will have to buy the I Life05 software and re-install everything. Will the I Photo library file remain safe during re-installation and be automatically integrated?
Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Some one correct me if i am wrong here, but in your restore media (CD/DVD) you should find an optional software disk. I believe the is where you will find iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
iphoto

hey

sorry to bring bad news but you might never get it back

at least thats what happened to me when my young daughter somehow deleted it. I went through the apple discussions for hours.

apparently it can get trashed without you knowing if you happen to use iphoto
without opening up the appllication i.e. if you go into the iphoto folder - which
is a no no

good luck

regards :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
btw, the photos are located under photos/iphoto library

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. For some reason i photo is not on any of my restore/installation discs (only an empty directory of i photo). The i photo library I found ok but the contents looked a bit different.
Anyway I bought the I life disc and re installed i photo and everything came back ok...phew!

Bendan67...when u have time can you expand on your remarks about losing I photo please,tks.
Any of you use .Mac for backup etc. and how do you rate it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
iphoto

hey

sorry my post was brief

i was referring to the iphoto library folder ( not the application iphoto )
it seems that you should only use iphoto with the application opened
and dont go in to the iphoto folder to make changes or whatever

sorry is this is vague i'm worrkin from memory and have not researched
it as it was some time ago the iphoto library folder i had disappeared or got deleted.

but use iphoto carefully and always back up your photos as you get hundreds on one cd

reagrds

:biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You should be able to find a software restore app on the OSX install disks that came with your system. Run that app and you'll be able to choose iPhoto or iLife for reinstallation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.