Imac 27" - What resolution are you running?

Reaction score
I just made the switch to Apple after months of anticipation. I replaced my HP with a 27 iMac. My only concern is that I sit about 18 - 24 inches back from the computer and the the text in Safari and Mail seem so small. I used the command + to increase the text size, but as soon as I reopen the browser it goes back to small. I got a suggestion to turn the resolution down to 1920x1080 from the max of 2560x1440. Does anyone else have this problem and run at the lower resolution? Is there another way to get larger text?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To get the best visual quality from an LCD monitor, is to run it at its "native" resolution. The native resolution for a 27" iMac (as you probably know) is 2560x1440.

The down-side to this (for some folks)...is the size of the icons & text can be too small...so they do what you're doing:

- reduce the resolution (for example 1920x1080 like you're doing)
- use the "zoom-in" command in Safari

It sounds like you're doing both.

Personally I would do one or the other...and if I had a 27" iMac...I would probably only use the Safari "zoom-in" command (as needed)...since this would "preserve" the 27" iMacs resolution at 2560x1440 (it's best quality native resolution). Of course things (text) on the desktop would be pretty small.

One way to get larger text AND run an LCD monitor at it's native resolution...is to get a much smaller monitor. Even the 21.5" iMac has a native resolution of 1920x1080...which text on the desktop may still be too small.

Another suggestion is (if text on the desktop is too small)...go to:

- the Finder
- then the "View" drop-down menu
- then choose "Show View Options"
- then increase the text size

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
nyc2sd
Reaction score
Thanks, the advice I got was from one of the folks at the Genius Bar. I would totally run at max resolution, but it seems like a pain to have to zoom in every time I open up a new safari window as the setting doesn't save when your machine goes to sleep

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but it seems like a pain to have to zoom in every time I open up a new safari window as the setting doesn't save when your machine goes to sleep

I think that there may be a bit of confusion here. I just did a quick test...and if a Safari page is "zoomed-in" prior to putting the computer to sleep...when the computer is "awakened" the zoomed Safari pages (at least on my computer) remain zoomed in.

But yes...any additional or new Safari windows that are opened will not be "zoomed"...so each new Safari window needs to be zoomed manually. If this is a big deal...you could possibly experiment with other internet browsers...such as Chrome, Fire-Fox, etc....and see how they handle page zooming.

Here's an article that lists various Mac browsers (not sure how old the article is):

10 Of The Best Web Browsers for Mac

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Working with Universal Access's zoom feature (in System Preferences > Universal Access > Seeing > Zoom) might be helpful too. I'm not implying that you're impaired in any way, but as monitor technology migrates to higher and higher resolutions -- while designers continue to accommodate the "lowest common denominator" with pixel-based measurements -- the problem you're encountering will only get worse and more widespread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I run mine at 1280x720
I have a 21.5 inch Imac. I have no ideas why they make the high resolution with such small icons and text. I said this before I feel like Mr Magoo when I first turned on my Imac. I had to play around with the setting for about 2hrs before I got something I was comfortable with. Then the LED eye strain lasted about 2-3 weeks. Then I was fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It took me awhile to get used to the higher resolution of the new 21.5" iMac we bought and now would not consider running it at a lower resolution. I'm probably older than you are but I should mention that not everyone sees the same. If you're comfortable with running it at 1280 x 720, that's fine.

OP
nyc2sd
Reaction score
I found a work around that works well. I went into "preferences" of both Safari and Mail and increased the font size. This setting seems to stick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both Safari and Chrome can be adjusted to use a larger font or magnification for easy viewing especially when doing the forums. It helps quite a bit if you spend considerable time in the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I just made the switch to Apple after months of anticipation. I replaced my HP with a 27 iMac. My only concern is that I sit about 18 - 24 inches back from the computer and the the text in Safari and Mail seem so small. I used the command + to increase the text size, but as soon as I reopen the browser it goes back to small. I got a suggestion to turn the resolution down to 1920x1080 from the max of 2560x1440. Does anyone else have this problem and run at the lower resolution? Is there another way to get larger text?
That's why I think the 24" iMac is the perfect size. The small text is one of the few things I don't like about a Mac. It would be great if there was an easy way to adjust text size.

I do run my iMac in 1920 x 1200 resolution

Reaction score
I had "computer" reading glasses made after a trip to an optometrist for the prescription. Allows me to sit back comfortably and read the high resolution screen clearly. But I do use the Safari Command+ zoom in too.

Reaction score
Font Size

Thank you all for elucidating responses. I'm coming from a 27" monitor with Windows 8 at 1990 x 1080. Much easier to read for me.

My problem is the Apple mail. My major size issue is in typing and viewing mail. Because of the increased resolution the text font's are miniscule! I can of course enlarge the fonts but then the recipient of my mail gets a giant font.

I wish I could just enlarge the text without actually enlarging the font.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.