• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who is the Apple Computer of the Automotive Industry?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
In your opinion, who best embodies the ideology of Apple in the car industry? Who's product seems to embody quality, effectiveness, innovative design, practicality and simplicity?

Each brand on the list automatically includes it's subsidiary's (e.g. Ford also includes Lincoln, Honda includes Acura, etc). I tried to include the 10 most popular manufactures in the United States, but I may have forgotten one or two (also the poll limits me to 10 items).

My follow up question would be, based on your selection, do you think Apple would ever partner with the manufacturer to develop technologies for the automobile similar to Ford and Microsoft's partnership?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
None of the above.

- Audi. Beautiful, innovative quality and customer service which is second to none. Well it is here in the UK, anyway.

And yes, I do drive one. In case that wasn't apparent. ;D

Reaction score
I've said this once already. There isn't one.

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
None of the above.

- Audi. Beautiful, innovative quality and customer service which is second to none. Well it is here in the UK, anyway.

Ah, yes that's a good one. I always forget about Volkswagen/Audi. How's the reliability of Audi these days though?

I've said this once already. There isn't one.

Has this topic come up before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
None of the above.

Im with you on this one.

My RS4 is arriving in 3 weeks :) Wooohoooooo

20120128-qpnq3y3d1pwic65d7tdup5hmsk.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I HATE YOU! ;D

That is my dream (being realistic) car! Being "poor" I had to settle for the 2.0T version. Still shifts for an estate, but sadly, an RS4 it is not. Looks gorgeous though!

Enjoy her, as I'm sure you will!

I've had my Audi for 16 months, and the seal around vacuum which controls the amount of air in the mixture, split, but being under warranty Audi replaced it for free and let me test drive an S5 while mine was in the shop. :drool:. Other than that, it's been flawless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Audi gets my vote too. Sadly parted with my 6-year-old Audi TT quattro last spring. Do much reduced mileage now so couldn't justify the expense of another though I do prefer the original model - surely a modern classic - to the restyle.

WLH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 " iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Mem 1TB HD - 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB
Cars are my life and I have and have had a number of BMW's but like all auto brands they have their problems. If I had to pick one I would say Jeep Wrangler. Solid, reliable and just does very well what it is designed to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm a car freak...none of the above! To me, when compared to the competition, Apple stands as the one company that has the best attention to detail, best customer service(whether on phone or in person), and best aesthetically pleasing, simple designs, coupled by undoubtable reliability and their product's ability to hold their value amazingly well. One other part of Apple is that I feel like the products are an extension of me, which plays a role in my choosing of Audi.

In comparison, there are only 3 companies that come to mind that fit that kind of image as reflected from Apple, in this specific order from best, to still comparable to Apple:

Audi- ferfect attention to detail, simple designs, and great allaround handling.
Lexus-perfect reliability and dependability, great detail, holds value incredibly well, and last, customer service treats you as if you're worth a million bucks!
Infiniti-They can do everything well. Have amongst the met dependable cars on the road, and are tailored for great all-year handling from either rwd or awd.

There are great cars from all the automotive manufacturers, but only a handful feel like an extension of you. That's the most important characteristic that a car can have, in my opinion. My lease was up on the 2007 Passat 2.0T in 2011, and turned it in instead of buying it out because someone ran into my left-rear door. I've had other cars too, including a 2005.5 Jetta(lease turned in to get the Passat), and others ranging from large SUVs to small economy cars like the Ford Excort, and now own a 2011 Honda Pilot(needed it), but none were like the Passat.

The Passat left an unrelenting passion for VW/Audi in my blood. When riving the Passat, which has similar driving abilities as an Audi, I knew exactly how the car was going to react. I had control of everything, I can keep the shifter in D for usual driving, shift it in S-mode for higher rev limits per shift and better engine braking, pass it to the right for manual stick shifting, or I can keep in either mode and use the paddle-shifters any time I wanted. The steering was perfect for whatever kind of driving you came across. The seats enveloped my like a glove. the refinement destroyed the competition it ran against...Camry? You kind me??? I could get the car to do whatever I wanted, mainly because when I wanted something out of the car, I knew where to take it to have it ready for me to do whatever I needed out of it. It was AWESOME! One close example to this is when I went to the Leguna Seca Raceway and drove the LP640...it had the some of the same abilities that I first found on my Passat.

Driving the Labmorghini LP640 made me love my Passat even more!
Say I'm on the freeway, in the middle lane and wanting to pass to the left while there were cars rushing quick. What I could do is tap the downshift paddle twice(maybe three times depending on how high my revs were in the current gear), downshift to 3rd gear from 5/6, tap the throttle to maintain engine/tire speed, this would engage the turbo. This is the equivalent of igniting a rocket after it was chained to the ground. All that was left for me to do is put the peddle down and go. Keep in mind that I could do this before you even blinked.
Did I mention I was talking about the Passat?

It's an intoxicating feeling that I have ONLY been able to find in VW manufactured cars(VW/Audi/Lamborghini/Bentley/Porsche). It makes you feel like you are connected with your car. That car was an extension of me. My MBP is an extension of me from how I feel, not just a random junk appliance, which is what most cars feel like these days(TOYOTA!). I've never been able to find that in another car, which is why I'm going back to VW/Audi when the other Honda's(Accord Crosstour) lease is up.

Apple:Audi. But you have to scratch under the surface to know who the puppeteer is: VW. I will forever love VW, and every brand under VW's belt!

I'm hoping I'll be able to get into the new Audi A4 Allroad when the time comes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
.......... not just a random junk appliance, which is what most cars feel like these days(TOYOTA!)

You please watch your language my good man.

Junk ~ Toyota DONT go in the same sentence. Thats blasphemy !!!!!!!! ;)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/236344-my-next-12-month-project-toyota-4runner-modifications.html

I HATE YOU! ;D

That is my dream (being realistic) car! Being "poor" I had to settle for the 2.0T version. Still shifts for an estate, but sadly, an RS4 it is not. Looks gorgeous though!

Im dreaming too mate . . . Was i wishful post, but yes i do love them so and if $ where not a issue it would be at the top of my list as well as the M3.

I fell in love with them the day my boss picked me up from Hamburg hit the Autobahn and proceeded to head north to the 200 Mile/hr mark. With the speed we where doing the bonnet bowed in the middle giving about a 1" 1/2 clearance to the faring . . . . .absolutely amazing it was. Nearly 320km/hr I was in heaven at that speed having raced Sprint Cars for 1 season . . . . . Ohhhhhhh Day dreaming now lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Junk ~ Toyota DONT go in the same sentence. Thats blasphemy !!!!!!!! ;)

I was mainly referring to their cars as in sedans comparable to the Passat. Their SUVs(Landcruiser, and 4Runner) are much different, and arguably some of the best off-roaders on the planet, from their cars(sedans, etc). Sorry to say it, but people don't buy Toyotas(camry/corolla/etc) because they are good driving cars, they buy a Toyota because they know it will drive them tomorrow from point a to point b.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was mainly referring to their cars as in sedans comparable to the Passat. Their SUVs(Landcruiser, and 4Runner) are much different, and arguably some of the best off-roaders on the planet, from their cars(sedans, etc). Sorry to say it, but people don't buy Toyotas(camry/corolla/etc) because they are good driving cars, they buy a Toyota because they know it will drive them tomorrow from point a to point b.

:) Totally agree on the sedan's and knew you where emphasising them . . . . . Just in a poo stirring mood lol

Reaction score
Has this topic come up before?

I believe so, somewhere in the Rumors thread. Not that it's really important, but if I had to say there was, well, I couldn't. Every auto manufacturer has its designs. It's more to do with taste. However, I will honestly say this: GM's panel gaps are the size of the Grand Canyon and Crisisler (Chrysler) has almost always had some sort of electrical glitch as far as I can remember.

They're slightly improving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
:) Totally agree on the sedan's and knew you where emphasising them . . . . . Just in a poo stirring mood lol

It's all good...you'd have to stir a whole lot more poo for anything bad to come about :)

Reaction score
Of the available choices in the poll, I pick BMW.

But in all reality, the clear winner is Audi. I want an A7 so bad it hurts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
might we be forgetting the Rolls Royce?

British institution in its day and has now been reinvented with the silver shadow...albeit with a minute bit of German engineering....biased of course.

EDIT: or indeed its sister enterprise, the Bentley
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if you're gonna go down that road.....

Maybach? Lamborghini? Ferrari? Maserati? Aston Martin? Porch? (;))

If you spend that much money, you're pretty much guaranteed engineering/service/performance etc.

;D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Don't know of any auto company that I would class as another Apple. To me they all have they same basic business model, with some executing better in some areas than others.

I don't know right off the bat what a different model/approach for an auto company would be, but as they say, "I'll know it when I see it." ;)

EDIT: At the risk of starting a feud, I feel compelled to comment on the votes for BMW in the Poll. One of he things that made/make us love our Macs is the low maintenance.
I have never owned a BMW (but I have friends who do) and I don't believe they would cite that as a BMW selling point.
Styling, handling, performance don't neccessarily equate to total qality. I am reminded of the Triumph TR6 that my late brother owned and loved, that I swore he kept for the sole purpose of driving to St Louis to buy parts to repair his TR6. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
Well if you're gonna go down that road.....

Maybach? Lamborghini? Ferrari? Maserati? Aston Martin? Porch? (;))

If you spend that much money, you're pretty much guaranteed engineering/service/performance etc.

;D

true, but the Macbook is an expensive laptop compared to the 'other' brand...:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
There is a reason that iPhones are integrated into BMWs. That should answer your question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.