File size difference between PC and Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I need help understanding file sizes and the difference between files on a PC versus files on a Mac. I've been using a flash drive to remove files from my PC and put them on my Mac. Is there a reason why the files I move increase in size once they get on the Mac?

For example, I moved a folder with a bunch of songs from a single performing group. On my PC the file size is 1.6G, on my Mac the same file is 1.72G. This same idea happens with every folder I've checked so far.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I need help understanding file sizes and the difference between files on a PC versus files on a Mac. I've been using a flash drive to remove files from my PC and put them on my Mac. Is there a reason why the files I move increase in size once they get on the Mac?

For example, I moved a folder with a bunch of songs from a single performing group. On my PC the file size is 1.6G, on my Mac the same file is 1.72G. This same idea happens with every folder I've checked so far.

Any ideas?

This is because Microsoft and Apple define a gigabyte differently. Microsoft defines 1GB as 1024 MB. Apple, on the other hand, defines 1GB as 1000 MB. HDD manufacturers such as Western Digital, Seagate, etc use the same measurement as Apple.

Here's some more information for you...

Gigabyte (Wikipedia)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This is because Microsoft and Apple define a gigabyte differently. Microsoft defines 1GB as 1024 MB. Apple, on the other hand, defines 1GB as 1000 MB. HDD manufacturers such as Western Digital, Seagate, etc use the same measurement as Apple.

Here's some more information for you...

Gigabyte (Wikipedia)

Nice work and thanks for the link, as i did not know this. Learn something everyday in this forum.

Thanks dmccloud

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Also learned something new today sort of, and here I was thinking a Gigbyte was always 1024 MB. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Also learned something new today sort of, and here I was thinking a Gigbyte was always 1024 MB. :p

Well it is 1024 MB. The problem is that hard drive manufacturers decided to re-define a GB using the decimal system of base-10 so their drives look like they are bigger than what they really are. In reality… computers don't operate using the decimal system. It's base-2 with 8 bits/byte. Starting with Snow Leopard, Apple decided to make OS X report file sizes the way hard drive manufacturers report capacity for liability reasons. Personally I think it just makes things more confusing. And I imagine OS X is actually making things harder on itself by re-calculating the reported file size to a formula that is not standard to how they really operate. The better way would to just make the hard drive manufacturers to stop lying about their capacities, but that'll never happen.

C

chas_m

Actually, the reason Apple switched to the way the hard drive manufacturers calculated it was to EASE consumer confusion (as in the 1,000,000,000th "I bought a 500GB hard drive, why does in only report 488.2GB??" question).

This only works, of course, if everyone does it.

There has also been a movement afoot (not from marketers) to REDEFINE the base2 and base10 terms, thus making a GIGABYTE actually the size Apple and the HD people say, and GIBIBYTE the formerly "correct" 1024-bit definition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the reason Apple switched to the way the hard drive manufacturers calculated it was to EASE consumer confusion (as in the 1,000,000,000th "I bought a 500GB hard drive, why does in only report 488.2GB??" question).

Consumer confusion leads to class action lawsuits. ;) I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. I recall when monitor manufacturers were lying about their sizes by including the plastic bezel as part of the screen dimensions. I recall seeing monitors advertised as being "19 inches" but the actual screen was about 14 inches, or something along those lines. I think it was the FTC who put a stop to that nonsense.

There has also been a movement afoot (not from marketers) to REDEFINE the base2 and base10 terms, thus making a GIGABYTE actually the size Apple and the HD people say, and GIBIBYTE the formerly "correct" 1024-bit definition.

Yup. So far, it hasn't really taken off, and it never will without regulators stepping in.

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Thanks for the reply. I learned something new!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has always annoyed me and I've often wondered if there was a script or program that could get the Mac to calculate file sizes properly -- e.g., Base-2.

ETA: Answered my own question.

I could kiss you.

Well maybe not you personally, but maybe your mother or sister.

Reaction score
^ My mother's going through a divorce right now, so she'd probably appreciate the attention. Feel free to send a pic if you want me to hook you up. ;) lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.