Partitioning External Hardrive in Disk Utility

Reaction score
Is there a way I can clone my Macintosh HD to my external hard drive through the disk utility? I am guessing that partitioning my external hard drive into 2 volumes will enable me to keep my original data on 1 volume and creating another for the Macintosh HD. Would this work without losing original data on my external hard drive? I want to back up my iMac and erase all the data after so I can do a new re installation from the Mac OSX install disk. Any advice? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest way to clone your hard drive to an external is by using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. The former is shareware while the latter is donation ware.

OP
J
Reaction score
The easiest way to clone your hard drive to an external is by using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. The former is shareware while the latter is donation ware.

How would I be able to download it? my iMac is so damaged that I cannot even get into my user account to download it. Thanks for the advice

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You never mentioned the condition of your iMac in your first post. How are you posting to this forum? You can download on a PC if you have to, however, the problem is how to run the cloning software? Or for that matter how could you run Disk Utility as you asked in your first post?

OP
J
Reaction score
You never mentioned the condition of your iMac in your first post. How are you posting to this forum? You can download on a PC if you have to, however, the problem is how to run the cloning software? Or for that matter how could you run Disk Utility as you asked in your first post?

I mentioned previously about the condition of my mac in the 'Backing up files on a damaged iMac?' thread. Is it possible to clone my iMac hard drive from the disk utility (booted from OSX installation disk) to my PC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you can not clone your Mac directly to a PC. You can clone it to a hard drive formatted as HFS+ with both programs I mentioned above. You can also use Disk Utility to make an image to an external hard drive, but again it must be formatted as HFS+.

Also, since you already had a previous thread with the same subject, it's best to keep everything together. Since we read through hundreds of threads every day or so, it's not possible to remember what you had posted before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.