External Monitor for MacBook, Suggestions Please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro OS X 10.9, MacBook OS X 10.7.5, iPod 3G, iPhone 5S. IPad Mini
I want to buy an external monitor that works well with my MacBook and need some advice. Laptop specs: Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I've found monitors on line but don't really have the expertise to know what to look for. The external monitor will be used mostly for online work including editing web sites. This one is available from Amazon: ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch (21.5-Inch Vis) Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Monitor with Integrated Stereo Speakers. This was noted on Mac related web site as a good choice: AOC RAZOR LED e2343F 23.0″ Full HD LED Monitor Ultra-slim 12mm, LED Panel & Backlight.

A monitor with speakers and USB port(s) would be preferred

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost <$200.

Thanks,
Phyllis

Reaction score
Pretty much any monitor will work with your Mac. The only caveat is that you'll probably need an adapter to convert the standard DVI output to your Mac's Mini DVI input.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Knowing this makes my search much easier. Thanks for the advice on the adapter.

C

chas_m

I've always liked BenQ and ViewSonic for monitors, but as said nearly any brand that's not junk will do.

A word of caution, however: some of the latest monitors use extra-awesome LED backlighting, which is great -- BUT it's going to be about 50 times brighter than your MacBook's built-in screen, which will likely annoy the heck out of you. You may want to consider sticking with the (cheaper!) non-LED backlit models till you get your next Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Pretty much any monitor will work with your Mac. The only caveat is that you'll probably need an adapter to convert the standard DVI output to your Mac's Mini DVI input.

Agreed Shikarnov, it cost me a small fortune for an adaptor to hook up my daughter's Mac mini to a new Samsung LED monitor.The more inputs the better in my opinion.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m, you point out a factor I've not considered. I'm a long way from a new Mac so have to think on this. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.