Windows system32 config system error on Bootcamp partition

Reaction score
I have a Macbook (upgraded memory and HD) running OS X 10.6.8. The other day, I went to get into my Windows partition and got the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows set up using the original setup CD-ROM. Select "r" at the first screen to repair.

I tried to press F8, to no avail.

Can someone lead me through how to do this step by step from beginning to end of repair? IE: "Power off. Insert original Windows set up CD-ROM. Power on computer," etc.

My default is to turn on with OS X so I was worried that if I did the above process, for example, it would screw up my Mac partition which is working fine. So I am not sure if I need to turn on computer, press option key to allow me to select which partition and THEN insert the Windows start up CD before I select the Windows partition? Or do something more like the above? The more specific you can be for the relatively computer illiterate, the better. Thank you!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
To be honest, if you dont have a lot of data on that partition, delete it and start over.

Sometimes doing a recovery repair can work, usually it doesn't. Here at work, we just plug the drive up, get the data off and reimage from scratch.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

That's the Windows registry. If that's corrupt you're better off doing what member Deckyon suggested.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I thought I'd at least give it a try to repair using my CD-ROM. Got to the repair console and tried to follow the directions to type:

md tmp (ENTER)
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

And it said, "The file could not be copied". Any ideas why and how to resolve?

What would happen if I "installed" Windows on the partition? I started the process and got as far as selecting the partition, but it said that the BOOTCAMP partition already had an operating system and do I want to continue to install. Wouldn't an install just wipe out the damaged Windows XP currently on the partition since it's the same thing?

If not, I will do as Deckyon suggests re: deleting partition and starting over. Question: Do I need to buy Windows 7 to do so? When I set up my original partition, I was using Bootcamp 3.0 (since I have Snow Leopard) and I installed Windows XP, service pack 2.

Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.