Printer Configuration issues.

pal

Reaction score
Hi again guys,

I've given up on any hope of getting my mini to work with the kvm. It will likely end up as a media centre machine in the house, but for now I'm still trying to iron out all the issues.

To date, I've been unable to make it print anything. All my printers are connected via the tcp/ip lan. In the house, I have a Brother HL-5040 laser plugged into the centronics port on an Asus WL500g wireless router. In the office, I have an old Brother HL-1040 laser, and an Epson Stylus Color 640, both plugged into a Surecom EP-603X print server. All my windows and linux machines can use all the printers fine.

The printer installation process seems fairly straighforward. But after the printers are setup, they just don't work. The printque for the router attached printer reports that the device is busy, and it will retry in 30 seconds, ad infinitum. An attempt to print an appleworks document with the single word "test" on it to the laser in the office, generated about 3 lines of what appeared to be printer configuration information, followed by half a dozen blank pages which only stopped when I pulled the stack of paper out of the feeder.

I rang Apple's tech support line, but the guy that answered was not the slightest bit helpful. He talked me through deleting the printers, and reinstalling them, following exactly the same procedure I had used already, and when it still didn't work, suggested I post on a forum because he had no idea! I guess you're not expected to know much if you're employed by a company whose products "just work".

Since the guys at Apple seem to think that you know more about it than they do, can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong. I mean, it can't be that hard to print something can it?

Thanks in anticipation,

Pal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What version of MacOS are you running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
New driver?

I had to go to the brother website to update the printer driver. I didn't know you needed them for the mac most everthing works just by plugging it in. But check Brother's website there should be a fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.