• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

"H.264 .MOV files can not be played on this iPad"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I seem to be having some trouble syncing some videos to my iPad 1.

I'm lead to believe that iPads can play videos in H.264 format, yet when I try to sync them in iTunes (from iPhoto), after the sync has finished it says "XXXX.MOV were not copied to the iPad "Chuck's iPad" because they cannot be played on this iPad."

The resolution of the videos in question is 1080p, would this be causing the problem?! If so, what's the best way to go about converting them so they can be played on the iPad?

Many thanks! :D

C

chas_m

iPads can play videos using the h.264 codec, but they would likely need to be in MP4 format not MOV and the iPad is looking for fairly specific ranges of bitrate and resolution, which is a longwinded way of saying yes the resolution is probably the culprit.

You can convert the files to whatever the iPad wants by using a free tool like Miro Video Converter or a shareware tool like Permute.

OP
Chuckoir
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Miro worked a treat! Thanks, Chas!

Have some rep! ;)

EDIT: I was going to give you some rep, but apparently I need to spread my love around a bit more! :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Miro works great. Thanks for the excellent advice Chas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.