Really need help.

Reaction score
I really can use as much insight as possible thanks. Here is the problem. My hard drive was working fine until i came home last night from school. The I started getting the question mark that flashes when you boot up. I put install disc in and went to util. and the drive couldnt be found. This is the second time my hard drive has crapped out on me and both times happened right after I came home from school. I only use the internet at school so its shared to everybody so I don't know why my hard drives keeps crappin. I wanted to throw my computer in anger. I had the hard drive last 3 months. It's so frustrating. So now i dont know what to do really. I think I am going to buy a new one. My macbook is from 2006. Im just really frustrated. it seems like this only happens to mac. I'm getting sick of it. I might just buy a new non mac computer. But here is a hard drive I found for my mac, i need some opinions on it before i purchase it: Western Digital - Scorpio Blue 250GB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Laptops - WDBABB2500ANC-NRSN

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It really sounds like your hard drive is dead or dying. Getting a new one would be the best bet. As far as which HD...personally I don't really have too much preference...I shop for the lowest price.

Hopefully you had anything important backed up.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I would like some input on where i can get a long lasting hard drive and where you can find one for a decent price. I can't keep paying 60 bucks every three months for a hard drive crashing. its ridiculous. Please help me out guys!! any models or links would help. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Apple does not make hard drives, they use the same suppliers that every one else does. At 90 days every drive out there (assuming it's not something odd like a grey market deal) will be well within manufacturers warranty, you should contact the manufacturer and RMA the device. If you're noticing that the drives are failing after being jostled around (especially if you're jostling it around heavily), you may want to power OFF the laptop on your way home.

OP
M
Reaction score
my laptop is powered off... It's just very frustrating. Anybody know where I can get a long lasting hard drive at a decent price. Please help me out. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
But it Sounds like you may have part of your answer: "both times happened right after I came home from school." I may be wrong but buying a win machine probably won't fix this problem unless you change some habits (and I can't see that a win machine is/would be more durable.. why? As was said you may be jostling it around, I would take a look inside (I'm not sure of warranty issues tho, but if you are honestly getting rid of it...) and check connections before you go and buy a new hd. You could also take those old hds and see if they are detected in another machine and then you would also know that it's not the hd, but a motherboard or connection issue - all which may have been caused by jostling.

If the computer was new or within warranty, then you could also take advantage of apple care warranty other than that, the hd should be covered under the manufacturer of the hd.

good luck

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well I would like some input on where i can get a long lasting hard drive and where you can find one for a decent price. I can't keep paying 60 bucks every three months for a hard drive crashing. its ridiculous. Please help me out guys!! any models or links would help. thanks

Hard drives are mechanical devices...and as a mechanical device...eventually they will fail. You might have gotten a bad drive previously.

There is no clear cut best "long-lasting" hard drive. They're all pretty the same. It's sort of a personal preference sort of thing...ask 10 people which HD you should get...and you may get 10 different answers.

I'm just trying to keep it simple. As I already mentioned...just purchase a hard drive from a well know manufacturer...and you will be fine (including the drive you linked in post #1).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.