• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Handbrake & vlc

Reaction score
After a life with PC I have taken the plunge and turned Mac, I won't be going back. Though I would appreciate some help with an issue.
I want to store my DVD collection on my drive. I initially installed Iskysoft Media Converter evaluation version. I have since found handbrake. Even though I have installed handbrake it always states that it is incompatible with the version of VLC installed even though I know that it has the same bit size. I thought that maybe Iskysoft is preventing it from working. I have uninstalled Iskysoft yet icons still appear in my launch menu and cannot be removed (separate issue but annoying all the same). Is there any way to reset the system to a previous time, thus undoing any changes?

Thanks

Big T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
agree with lifeisabeach.

Perhaps you need to edit your post and add 'unprotected' or 'homemade' infront of the word DVD....;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have uninstalled Iskysoft yet icons still appear in my launch menu and cannot be removed (separate issue but annoying all the same). Is there any way to reset the system to a previous time, thus undoing any changes?

Tell you what… let's address these issues. First off, the iSkysoft software is very "sketchy". You should certainly get it off your system, but you can't simply "reset" your system. Well you could if you have Time Machine backups. Are you using it?

If you are not, then we need to figure out how to get iSkysoft off your system. It appears to be one of those ill-behaving pieces of software that infest your system and are difficult to eradicate. First thing to try is reinstalling the software, then properly uninstalling it with their uninstaller. See:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/222296-iskysoft-delete-uninstall.html

If that doesn't work, then… well first thing I need to know is what it is you consider to be a "launch menu". Are you talking about your Login items? The Applications folder? Launchpad?

There are a variety of apps that help "uninstall" other applications that you can try. None of them do a thorough job for some of the more complicated apps that have a lot of extra "helper" files spread all over the system though. The best one in my experience is the module in TinkerTool System, which is just generally an outstanding suite of maintenance tools for OS X. There are a variety of dedicated "uninstallers" also, a few of which are free. AppCleaner works by dragging the apps you want off into its window; AppTrap works by monitoring the Trash and when it detects an app being deleted, it offers to clean up the other files too.

As for VLC, all I can say is make sure you have the latest 64 bit version. That's just sensible advice, no matter what the application.
VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Mac OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.