First Time Mac-er

Reaction score
If you could teach a newbie one thing (or more) about her new Mac, what would it be?

I've been using Windows for over 10 years and just bought my first iMac. I've had it about 24 hours and I'm so frustrated I could cry or throw it out the window. I don't want to give up just yet but I'm struggling here.

Teach me some stuff, please :p

Tara ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Give us a hand here. What are you struggling with? What are you trying to do that seems so hard on the Mac?

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, first off, I am experienced with Windows. For example:

1. When I do something I didn't mean to do, I just hit Control+Z and it undoes it. Mac, no idea what to do.

2. I usually have 8-10 windows minimized at a time on the PC and just click the tab at the bottom to navigate through, no idea on the Mac.

3. I'm used to right clicking for a menu to come up when hovering over an icon, can't do that on the Mac.

I'm sure there will be more, let's start with those!

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh, can't find how to select all the pictures I just migrated onto the Mac in order to put it in one file.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

1. When I do something I didn't mean to do, I just hit Control+Z and it undoes it. Mac, no idea what to do.

2. I usually have 8-10 windows minimized at a time on the PC and just click the tab at the bottom to navigate through, no idea on the Mac.

3. I'm used to right clicking for a menu to come up when hovering over an icon, can't do that on the Mac.

My questions would be:

- What were your reasons for switching to a Mac?
- How much experience did you have with Macintosh computers & the Mac OS before your purchase?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Welcome Tara!

I'm new'ish to Mac's OS but can offer some things that have helped me thus far.

I've found this
thread on Apple's support website very helpful with keyboard shortcuts. Maybe it can help you feel more comfortable navigating around using shortcuts.

Do you have the dock at the bottom with the icons for applications? Clicking them will change the bar at the top to that application, even though the window may not popup. On my system, I have a little light blue dot under the applications I have minimized. Ones which are closed have no dot under them. Is this what you're referring to when you mention tabbing between multiple applications at once?

I'm on a laptop with a trackpad, I'm not sure about using a mouse with an iMac... but I'm sure lots of people here will be able to tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Oh, can't find how to select all the pictures I just migrated onto the Mac in order to put it in one file.

I've found that you can click on on multiple files by clicking the top file, hold down SHIFT on the keyboard, and click the bottom file you wish to select. Using your mouse, you should be able to drag them to another folder.

Which option do you have selected for your display view using the Finder? There are a few icons at the top of the Finder - one with four small boxes, the next with horizontal lines, a third with vertical lines, etc. If you click the 3rd one it will display your files on the left and whatever folder you have selected will display its contents in a column on the right. That, for me, has been the easiest way to move files around because I can see where I'm going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Instead of hitting Control + Z to undo something like you do on Windows, it's Command + Z on a Mac. You'll find that this is true with many of the keyboard shortcuts on a Mac. For instance, Cut, Copy and Paste commands on a Mac are Command + X, Command + C, and Command + V respectively.

2. Click the yellow button in the upper left corner of the window to minimize it. You'll see it go into the right side of your dock (the row of application icons at the bottom of the screen). Click the icon in the dock to bring the window back up.

3. Yes, you can. I'm assuming you have an iMac with a Magic Mouse (and not a Magic Trackpad). Go into System Preferences > Mouse and click the Enable Secondary Click box under the Point & Click tab. Now you should be able to do a right-click on the Magic Mouse by clicking on the right side of the mouse. (Tip: Be sure to lift your index finger off the mouse entirely, otherwise it might interpret the button press as a standard click.)

4. Command + A should work to select all your files.

Here's another tip: If you ever need to force quite an application, hit Command + Option + Escape. A window will appear that should allow you to force quit an app.

Bonus Tip: Clicking the red X in the upper left corner will not always shut down an application like it does on Windows. In order to shut down an app completely, click on the name of the application in the menu bar and select Quit. You can also use Command + Q if you'd prefer a nice keyboard shortcut.

Bonus Bonus Tip: Command + Tab will allow you to switch between different applications like it does on Windows. Command + ` will move the selection in the opposite direction. You can also shut down applications in this mode by hitting Command + Q.

That's enough for now. I hope that's enough to get you started!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've found that you can click on on multiple files by clicking the top file, hold down SHIFT on the keyboard, and click the bottom file you wish to select. Using your mouse, you should be able to drag them to another folder.

Yep, this is true on Windows as well. Similarly, if you have multiple files in a list that you want to select at the same time, but they aren't next to each other, you can do that as well. So, let's say you have a window with 20 files in it and you want to move three of them to a different location. Click on the first file, and then hold down the Command key when you click the second and third files. This will allow you to select them without deselecting the others. (You can do the same thing in Windows by holding down the Control key and then clicking.)

C

chas_m

thanks for the plug, harryb!

I was just going to reiterate the Switch 101 and Mac 101 links that are in that essay here. Immediate first aid for the confused switcher.

Tara, it can feel like you've been thrown in the deep end of the pool and told to "learn to swim" but I promise it will all make sense (more sense, in fact, than Windows!) sooner than you think. If you know anything about Zen Buddhism, the concept of "letting go" of old notions will help put you in a mindset to "think different." Also, booze helps. :)

(just kidding about that last bit -- I figure you could use a smile.)

OP
T
Reaction score
My questions would be:

- What were your reasons for switching to a Mac?
- How much experience did you have with Macintosh computers & the Mac OS before your purchase?

- Nick

I needed a new PC. I started asking friends and relatives what I should get. A few said Macs are far superior to any PC. I've also had problems in the past with viruses and such and they said I wouldn't get any with a Mac. They said the speed was better, etc etc etc.

I then went to the computer store (Best Buy) and asked them. They spoke SO highly about the iMac that we ended up getting it.

I have ZERO experience with Macs before my purchase. The guy at Best Buy said it would take me about a week to get the hang of it. HA!

OP
T
Reaction score
You guys are awesome!!!

Ok, so I've tried out everything you all suggested, and YES!!! it's all making sense now. I DO feel like I've been thrown in the deep end of a pool without a life jacket and no energy to swim.

I am a full-time online college student, I sell "stuff" on ebay and amazon, I run a nonprofit organization and am a wife and mom. I NEED to be fast on my computer to get things done.

I have my old PC (I'm using it right now) next to my new iMac on my computer desk. lol.

Where do I find all my programs and documents that I migrated in using the migration assistant? I know it worked because I changed my screensaver to pictures (and they all happened to be of my daughter, lol). Where's the rest?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I needed a new PC. I started asking friends and relatives what I should get. A few said Macs are far superior to any PC. I've also had problems in the past with viruses and such and they said I wouldn't get any with a Mac. They said the speed was better, etc etc etc.

I then went to the computer store (Best Buy) and asked them. They spoke SO highly about the iMac that we ended up getting it.

I have ZERO experience with Macs before my purchase. The guy at Best Buy said it would take me about a week to get the hang of it. HA!

All great reasons for wanting to switch to a Mac!:) But I always recommend that someone get more familiar with Macintosh computers and DEFINITELY the Mac OS (especially someone with zero Mac experience)...before laying down the BIG BUCKS for a Mac.

The Mac OS is not Windows (they have some similarities)...but they are different. And for a person that has been using Windows for quite a while...making the switch sometimes is not easy.

If you want things the way they were...go back to Windows.;) But I'm sure if you keep an open mind...learn how the things you want to do work on a Mac...you will be very satisfied in the end!:)

- Nick

Reaction score

It seems clear that you had no inclination to learn a new operating system, and nothing special that you needed a Mac to do. Because of that, I think I'm probably going to be the lone voice of dissent and recommend you take your iMac back to Best Buy and get something with which you can be productive immediately.

Moreover, I believe your friends and family did you several injustices. First, by not considering your lack of need. Second, by not fully evaluating your situation and desires. Third, by not being there to help you start down the path on which they set you. And fourth, by implying that Macs are without vulnerability (they're not!).

And the Best Buy goons will sell you anything that you appear to have a twinkle in your eye for. "I heard good things about [premium priced] Macs. What do you think?" "Well, ma'am, Apple [cha ching!] makes a wonderful product..."

Don't get me wrong, I think Macs are the greatest. But if you don't want to change, if you don't enjoy the thrill of learning something new, then you're in for many many more frustrations in the coming weeks and months. Why do that to yourself if you don't have to?

Good luck.

Z

C

chas_m

BUT they were speaking the truth when they said Macs don't get viruses. That's correct, there are no Mac viruses.

Reaction score
Definitely not the easy way to switch. Has to be a planned experience, and I imagine for most it certainly takes longer than a week! I have advised a couple of people to take a pause, and I wouldn't even suggest switching to my elderly mother. That said, if you have time and patience, it can be worth it:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/240859-reality-check-reflections-switching.html

Both kids took to their MacBooks like ducklings to water, and both had been using Windows for several years. But they had been saving up for some time, and using friends' Macs.

Reaction score
BUT they were speaking the truth when they said Macs don't get viruses. That's correct, there are no Mac viruses.

Only insofar as the technical definition of virus is concerned. To a laymen, pretty much any form of nasty programming is a virus -- whether it actually be a worm, a trojan, a virus, or any other form of malware.

For you and me, those distinctions are important. For somebody who jumps over a cliff because her friends told her the ground was softer, it's little more than semantics.

Reaction score
TaraE278 - in her now closed second thread said:
My first question- I migrated all my stuff from my PC to my Mac. I did NOT do it during initial setup. When I DID do it, it created a second user. I would have no problem just using that user BUT I already bought and downloaded Microsoft Office for Mac on the OTHER user.

Hi Tara,

Are you sure you installed it for another user, or just while you were on another user. Assuming it was the latter, this may be as simple as adding the icons to your new user's Dock.

To do that, open Finder, on the left side, find Applications and click it. Then, in the list, you should see a folder for Microsoft Office. Double-Click on it, and then drag the icons for Word, Excel, and etc, to your Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)

I'm sure there will be more, let's start with those!
  1. cmd+z
  2. Dock = Taskbar (look on the right, next to the trash icon, for the icons that represent minimised windows)
  3. Mac mice do have right click, it's just not obvious from looking at them as it's a rocker system rather than discrete button. Use ctrl+click on a trackpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.