All My Files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I've been transferring files over from my PC to my new laptop via 32g flash drive. Its been going great. But, where did all the crap come from which is under the "All My Files" ?? There are things which I have on my iPad that I know I didn't copy over....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING IN THERE!

There, I'll stop shouting now.
All My Files is exactly what is says, it's a smart folder that automatically goes through your whole HD and shows you it's files.
The problem is that some people think that files in there are duplicate, because they can see it on their Desktop and in All My Files when in reality it is just on the Desktop and All My Files just show's you a "Shortcut" to it. Deleting a file from All My Files will delete it wherever it really sits on the HD. So if you delete anything from All My Files, keep that in mind.

Now, as to those files that are on your iPad but shouldn't be on the Mac.
What your most likely seeing is the iPad's backup files. It makes on each time you plug it in and sync.
You can see it this is really the case by right clicking on one of those files and clicking on "Show Original" It should take you straight to the backups folder if my hunch is correct.

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Thanks for the clarification on All My Files.

Regarding the files which are on my iPad... I have never connected any of my iToys to this new MBP yet. I plan to within a week or so, but so far, I use my PC for my iToys. That is what confuses me the most about how documents I have on my iPad magically appeared on my brand-new MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Leiyah,

What sort of files appeared on the Mac that were on your iPad? Photos? Music? PDFs?

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For example, I've created a few Numbers documents on the iPad. On my MBP, in the All My Files category, I can see mini JPG versions of those files. The same thing happens for presentations I've created using Keynote and Pages on my iPad. Several of them contain 3 files relating to one document.

In class last semester, I used Pages on my iPad to take notes. I saved the file. Now, on my MBP, for that single document I see 3 files:

Jennifer Seelig ASL 490R Visitor-micro.png
Jennifer Seelig ASL 490R Visitor.jpg
Jennifer Seelig ASL 490R Visitor-scalable.jpg

There are many examples of this pattern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Can you find out what folder they are in?
Click on the file to select it, then under the View Menu in the menubar click on "Show Path Bar"
Then take a screenshot of it or type out the path for us.
content

Maybe we can find something out by what folder they are in.

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my Finder window, I don't have the same text bar of information below the list of files, but I clicked Get Info and copied the "Where" line. Hopefully this is the same information.

/Users/leiyah/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~Pages/iWorkPreviews

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do believe that is Apple's iCloud feature. Anything in that folder will by synced between Apple devices no matter where they are as long as they have internet and are signed up with your Apple ID.
Do you have iCloud and maybe signed in with your Apple ID when you setup the computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.