• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Telecine machine

Reaction score
Hello
I have a bunch of old 8mm movies to convert to DVD. I found a very smart project (Construction of a home made Telecine machine) consisting in a very heavy tweaking on a movie projector. To take the video the guy uses a webcam and I tried too, but the drawback in my case was not the resolution or the color balance, which were in fact minor issues, but the visible artifacts due to the compression (logitech C 270). In your opinion which webcam could be suitable, possibly under $ 100, for my job? I'm aware that webcams specs are not so understandable, because intended mainly for chats where certain parameters are not so critical. I can't use my Sony hi 8 because its lens is not interchangeable and it has to be removed in order to obtain the correct distance to focus the very small frame (4,7x3,7mm).
Thanks a lot for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.