Macintosh HD Partition Mess

Reaction score
Hello to everybody
I have an iMac 21,5 - I5 - 2,7 - 4Gb running OSX 10.6.8.
Decided insanely to run Ubuntu on my mac I forced the install even if Bootcamp showed an option to install Windows. First issues were brightness very high and no keyboard and mouse, so decided to use usb. So I decided to switch back and install Windows instead, but Bootcamp didn't allow because hd was not journaled (because there still were linux partitions and Bootcamp needs a single partition made by itself). So I tried in many ways to remove the linux parts via disk utility, but any attempt was unsuccesful. So I used Ubuntu live cd and with gparted removed unneeded parts and assigned free space to hd. There were still a greyed part I could not remove. At reboot mac osx came up exactly as before, disk utility shows a single partition, but Bootcamp still claims a journaled hd. Do you think a fresh reinstall will fix, and why the greyed part showed by gparted is not visible under disk utility? Disk utility shows capacity 956,87 Gb, free 913,95.
Thanks a lot

Reaction score
If you cannot remove the Linux partition using either Disk Utility or BootCamp Assistant (e.g., the "restore" function), then I believe you will need to do reformat your HD and do a fresh reinstall of Mac OSX. Obviously do a backup first! Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Bootcamp Assistant and click continue on page once, and select remove Bootcamp on Page 2. If this does not work format and a clean install is the go. remember must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and then to run Bootcamp drive must be in one single partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
Go into Bootcamp Assistant and click continue on page once, and select remove Bootcamp on Page 2. If this does not work format and a clean install is the go. remember must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and then to run Bootcamp drive must be in one single partition.
Few more questions about Bootcamp (translating from italian):give me only two choices a)download software support for windows , b)I have OSX installation disk or already downloaded software support. -> NEXT
After I got an error message saying should have a single partition journaled or already partitioned by Bootcamp. No other possibilities to go further. Note: Yesterday I have formatted Machintosh HD, all zeroes option and, after OSX install, restored the last Time Machine Backup, this was done after your suggestion to reformat. At this point in time everything was fine, the hd was single partition and journaled. So one hour ago tried again Bootcamp, at this point it let me go to the resize pane, I moved the arrow to give 43 Gb to Windows, during partitioning Bootcamp stopped and drove me back to the situation I described above. I will try once again the reformat and reinstall and possibly restore a Time Machine situation previous the linux install, just in case it takes record of partitioning the hd. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help. I know my explanation could be not very clear, but writing in english is quite a hard task for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.