Couple of quick questions for the experts.

C

christian231

Hi everyone,

I just moved back to Mac after a lot of years on PC and I'm trying to get back in the groove with the day to day workings of a Mac. 2 things I'm really missing about my PC are the "Desktop Shortcut" icon which let's you get back to the desktop quickly, without closing/minimizing all other windows. Is there a Mac equivalent to this shortcut icon?

Secondly, I miss the Control O feature from Internet Explorer which opens the dialog box to enter a new URL you want to go to. I hate having to click on the URL Address bar in Safari to enter a URL. Does Mac have this capability?

I'm using a Imac G5, with everything updated. I still use a PC at work, so switching between the two everyday is something I'm slowly getting used to. I appreciate any suggestions you all may have. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
1) Press F11. It's called like Exposeeeee or something.
2) Don't know about that... Just press random stuff until you find it. Or search Google.

You could get Virtual PC for your iMac. Let's you run XP right on it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
2. Press Command + L. I can't live without that shortcut either that targets the address bar.

OP
J

jn4jenny

As others have said, F11 will use the Expose feature to temporarily shuffle all your program windows aside and show you the desktop. But if that just isn't doing it for you, you can:

a. Go into System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and change the F11 button to any other button or keystroke sequence that you want. Just scroll to that feature of Expose in the list, click on the F11, and you should have the option to enter another macro of your own creation.

b. Go into System Preferences -> Dashboard and Expose and set an "Active Screen Corner". This makes it so that when you click on a certain corner of your desktop, your Mac will do something automatically, and one of the things you can ask it to do automatically is show your desktop.

OP
C

christian231

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I'm still having troubles printing with my Airport base station. I don't know if any of you have run into this problem, but I've tried 2 separate HP printers and neither will print, even though the print setup recognizes them as Bonjour printers, and all drivers are updated. If I don't get this printing soon, i'm going to have a nervous breakdown. Any ideas on this one? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.