Question about HD visibility with virtual machines?

Reaction score
I have my bootcamp of windows 7 set up to work through VM Fusion as a virtual machine. I have two issues i would like to figure out.

1) When i am in the virtual machine and i goto computer all i can see is the bootcamp partition and my dvd drive. I would like to be able to see the Macintosh HD so that i can access files through windows that are on my mac hd.

2) I can't seem to be able to copy files to my boot camp partition. When i look at it with get info in says read only how can i change this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1) You need to modify the Boot Camp virtual machine properties in order to allow your Macintosh HD partition to be mounted and usable in Windows.

Start VMWare Fusion, but do not boot the virtual machine. Click the Virtual Machine menu and click Settings. Click Sharing and turn it on. Then select the Macintosh HD as the folder you want to share.

2) OS X from the factory can only read NTFS partitions. You'd need third party drivers to allow for R/W operations. I recommend Paragon NTFS for Mac for this purpose. There is a free alternative known as MacFUSE/NTFS 3G available as well, but it can be flakey and difficult to setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.